Review for Goswick

On my first trip to Scotland, Goswick Links was my introduction to links golf. I picked Goswick because it was more or less half way up between Newcastle and North Berwick. How fortunate I turned out to be! I then liked the people, the simplicity of the lay-out and the absolute serenity that overtakes you when progressing into your round of golf.

We played two rounds on a day ticket that day, and I thought we had a nice day out, nothing more, nothing less.

Only when I played more (links) venues, I started to realise how good the Goswick Links really is as a true, classic links course. Always looked forward returning to Goswick Links ever since.

Although the lay-out is not overly dramatic, and most hazards are in sight, the dunes offer enough blind shots and elevation changes to test your club selection. If the wind starts blowing, better take your A game with you, since most of the holes are pretty exposed to the wind. Being far away from any buildings other than the clubhouse and some farmhouses, the course lies in splendid isolation. On the day we played, I think we met 8 people on the course and 3 others in the clubhouse. Since earlier reviews describe the course in more detail quiet accurate, I won't elaborate to much on the individual holes.

It's assuring that the R&A appreciates the quality of the venue by appointing Goswick Links as Open Qualifying Venue for 2018.

I wander what the ranking of this venue would be, would it have been one of the tracks that St Andrews Links Trusts offer. Rest assured, it would be as packed & jammed with golf tourists as their top venues.

So, if you want to muster the feeling of playing pure links golf at the end of the world, go to Goswick Links and enjoy.

If someone knows other links golf courses that evoke that same feeling, please let me know!

OCB