Betchworth Park Golf Club was established in 1911, when a founding committee of sixteen gentlemen arranged to lease land on the estate of Lord Francis Hope of Deepdene House, whose family had acquired the property during the 19th century. Harry Colt was brought in to design the layout and the course opened in September 1913.
According to the club, “the first change to the course was made in 1920, when the order in which the holes were played was changed to enable 4 balls to start on the tenth.” Betchworth Park is listed in the catalogue raisonné of Simpson & Company Golf Architects, so presumably Tom Simpson was responsible for this work.
In 1966, a new clubhouse was positioned for easy access to three starting and finishing holes but its location near the 17th green required holes to be re-sequenced, along with the construction of a new par three hole to replace the old 17th. Three years later, a new 2nd hole was built to avoid problems with those driving on the 3rd.
At the start of the new millennium, the order of play was changed, allowing the course to be configured as two returning nines. New tees have since been added to several holes and the green was remodelled on the short par three 10th. Among other course improvements, tree removal has opened up views of the River Mole on the 16th..