Review for Bethpage (Black)

After reading all of the reviews already posted, there are a few other tidbits I would like to share without duplicating the obvious accolades for one of the best courses in the world and clearly one of great golf bargains too.I grew up in the NY area but never made it out to The Black until the July. The computer system they have in place has made the sleeping in cars a thing of the past.I played the RED the day before as a warm up as it is the 2nd toughest course of the 5 at Bethpage. It was 103 degrees and I carried my bag. Bring it on! I shot one of the best rounds of my life. In the bar afterwards, exhausted but exhilarated, I chatted with the bartender and he told me The Black was 5 shots a side harder. Damn. The epilog is that The Black was 16 strokes harder and I hit the ball the same! I had one of the best driving days of my life on The Black and I was still looking at 190 yards into greens. The course is can be best described as playing golf against Mike Tyson - in your face, nothing fancy, and hitting you hard. It was 100 degrees when I teed off and I walked/carried again. I am the man! ;)Best tip would be to spend a hour at the chipping green. I lost all my strokes in the heavy rough around the greens. The greens themselves are slower and flatter than my club, so I found them easy. It was getting on the green that was the challenge. At the famous #15, I hit driver and 5 wood and was in the greenside rough in front of the left front trap; about 30 feet from the pin. I walked off with a double bogey after taking 4 strokes to go 30 feet.I played with a local 12 handicap woman. Though our handicaps are the same, I lost 6&5. She summed it up perfectly on the 1st tee, "Once you do Black, you never go back." ;)

Date: October 31, 2010

Read all reviews about Bethpage (Black)