Purdue’s Birck Boilermaker Golf Complex is frequently known for its Kampen Course, which hosted the 2003 Women’s and 2008 Men’s NCAA Championships. Technically its other course has hosted the Men’s national championship as well. The former “South” course at Purdue hosted the 1952 and 1961 events, but by the time Pete Dye came to campus during the ‘90s, the Bill Diddel route on the south end of the property was in need of a refresher course.
The property was reworked to solve drainage issues, and Dye created two entirely new holes to go along with the 16 he overhauled. The result is a course that is distinctly Dye and offers a less cramped routing. Although there are some eye-catching hazards on the Ackerman-Allen side of the street — including the barrage of burial plot-shaped bunkers on the long par four No. 15 — or the lengthy strip of sand running up the left side of No. 17 (one of the longest Dye has ever created) — this course is designed to be more playable than its acclaimed neighbor to the north.
The course is named after two wealthy donors who helped make the revamped, Double-Dye golf complex possible. No doubt there are many grateful Purdue students and alums in their debt.