Review for Blackwell

An old and great course and club. The layout is stunning and the bunkering is special.

It is clear to see that the current committee are trying to find some extra class by looking at how the course most likely once was. There are a lot of trees, some have been taken out and others were marked to go. This for me is a must, as the turf quality was well out of sink with the layout and bunkering etc. The greens are good, fun and big, but they are too wet and need much more light and air. I would guess there are some pretty high thatch levels.

Overall I liked the round, but the greens let it down badly. I am sure they will improve as the team continue to manage woodland etc.

Some of the new bunkers look smashing and fit well, there was also some architects lines drawn to expand and reshape others. These looks super and I look forward to playing again in 4-5 years time once it has all bedded in.

At £100/day, but really for most people that's £100/round, it is a lot for the quality of the putting surface.

Last niggle, knee length socks, just a bit silly really in 2021.

Date: September 17, 2021