Review for Blackwell

Played this week on a hot and breezy July day.The course is probably not looking its best right now and definately bears some scars from the recent deluges. This made the rough very difficult in places and the course just looked a tad scruffy in some areas. That siad, I am pretty sure this is all down to the weather and I certainly wouldn't let it detract from my view.This is a very good test of golf, in beautiful countryside. Other than the occasional train and the odd passing car in quiet country lanes you are often in splendid isolation. The course is very lightly played as a result of the very small membership here.The course starts with a fairly strong par 4 requiring a blind drive over the hill. The 2nd is a tight par 3 (don't hook it) and the 3rd is a very strong par 4. There are then a few decent scoring opportunities until you reach the 9th - a 200 yard par 3 of the whites guarded by a sizable lake.The back 9 felt tougher - the 10th is an excellent par 4 with superbly placed bunkers, the 11th a 220 yard par 3 with the railway line on the left, the 12th a long par 5 guarded by a very long bunker up most of the right, 13th a good par 3 and the 14th a challenging par 4 stroke 1 hole. The 16th is an absolute brute - 462 yards and I guess only avoids being SI1 as a result of it being late in the roundit is a par 5 in anything but name.The 17th is a short but tricky par 4 and the 18th a shortish par 4 that requires a very accurate tee shot to a very small green right in front of the clubhouse.Our party were made to feel very welcome by all that we met,the catering was first class and I definately look forward to my next visit.Finally, whilst dining, we witnessed the sight of a 5 ball playing alternate shots with 3 balls - anyone know how that works! I think the phrase eccentric features in a few of the revies of this excellent course.

Date: July 25, 2012