Blue Mound - Wisconsin - USA

Blue Mound Golf & Country Club,
1022 West North Avenue,
Wauwatosa,
Wisconsin (WI) 53226,

The course at Blue Mound Golf & Country Club opened in 1926, seven years before it hosted the USPGA Championships when, interestingly, the nines were tackled in reverse order to the sequence they’ve been played since the 1960s.

Nowadays, holes 1 to 4 occupy the flatter part of the property, with brilliant green complexes – a Redan, Double Plateau, Biarritz and Alps – raising the profile of the opening holes, turning a stretch of mediocre holes into more memorable ones.

The downhill par three 7th (“Short”) and uphill par four 8th (“Punchbowl”) are highlights on the front nine then the back nine is routed into, around and out of a central valley before the sturdy par five 18th (“Long”) returns golfers to the clubhouse.

Bruce Hepner of Renaissance Golf Design was called in by the club in the late 1980s to restore a Seth Raynor gem that had been allowed to decay, weighed down by encroaching tree lines and greens that were only two thirds the size they once were.

Tom Doak called Blue Mound “a hot mess the first time I saw it” but credits Hepner “for helping the club clear out a forest of nursery trees and get the greens – some of the wildest I’ve seen in the Raynor /Macdonald collection – back to where they belonged”.

Reviews for Blue Mound

Description: Gene Sarazen won the USPGA Championship at Blue Mound Golf & Country Club in 1933, seven years after Seth Raynor had set out an 18-hole course crammed with replica holes such as a Biarritz and an Eden. Rating: 7.7 out of 10 Reviews: 3
Brian LaBardi

I just love a Seth Raynor design and Blue Mound is no exception. One of the unique things they do at Blue Mound is name every temple hole on the bench resting on the tee box, I liked the added sense of history this touch brought. The golf course was phenomenal with Raynor’s green complexes the stars. My favorite green was the punchbowl 8th although I also liked the par three 7th featuring an elevated tee with a great view of Marquette. Blue Mound also shows the variances in Raynor’s Biarritz green designs showcasing one not completely integrated in the putting surface but challenging players who end up short of the green.

September 23, 2019

Steven Deist

I had the opportunity to play this gem late in the summer of 2018. It was one of the best golfing experiences of my life. It was also my favorite Raynor that Iv'e played to date which is funny because it is on a rather unassuming piece of property. It's parkland style with all the Raynor template holes and the conditioning was superb. The clubhouse is stately and the view of it coming up #9 and #18 was a sight to see. My caddie was also the best I've ever had. I finally started listening to him on the back 9 and made some putts :). I would go so far as to say that of all the top 200ish courses I've ever played; Blue Mound is the most underrated. It was an unforgettable golfing experience.

March 12, 2019

Fergal O'Leary

I’m willing to bet that if you were to ask 10 golfers to name 10 Raynor courses in the US, the clear majority of them would name the same clubs that we typically hear about. The best part of playing old classic courses in the US is the way in which hidden gems expose themselves and allow a celebration of their existence. If I were to ask the same 10 golfers to name a Raynor golf course in the state of Wisconsin, the room might get quiet in a hurry.

While the land at Blue Mound is relatively tame for most of the holes, there are pockets of land that offer splendid changes in elevation (eg: 8th hole punchbowl). The reason I loved Blue Mound was because it demonstrated Raynor’s ability to create his trademark template holes on a benign piece of land which aggregated into an enjoyable walk on a golf course that certainly won’t beat you up.

The conditioning was excellent as expected from a private club and I often commented on the beauty and relevance of the trees that carefully populated the property. It is heavenly parkland golf that flies effortlessly below every radar.

December 23, 2018