Bluejack National - Texas - USA

Texas (TX) 77316,

• Josh Governale

• Tiger Woods with Beau Welling

• Rich Barcelo and Matt Marino

The 18-hole layout at Bluejack National is the first headline design to open in the United States for Tiger Woods and architect Beau Welling. Situated an hour’s drive north of Houston city centre, the course is the centrepiece of an upmarket real estate project on land owned by Dallas-based Beacon Land Development in partnership with Lantern Asset Management.

You’d hardly imagine that a golf course recently operated on the same property from reading most of the articles that have been written about Bluejack National since it opened in 2015 – certainly you’ll find no mention of any former enterprise on the new development’s website – but it really has an interesting golfing background which is well worth relating.

Blaketree National Golf Club opened in 2001, shortly after its owner, Thomas W. Blake, died. Blake was quite a character, a five-times married lawyer-turned-oil-tycoon from Houston who meddled so much in the design of the course during the 1990s that architects Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw walked away from the project, leaving Blake to complete the last seven holes himself.

The Blake family opened the course to the public and ran it for a few years but the business ran at a loss, forcing the property to be sold. It lay dormant for the best part of two years before new owners took over and they set about repairing the irrigation system, upgrading the maintenance equipment and installing new cart paths, all with a view to selling peripheral real estate on the back of an improved golf course.

When that particular plan failed, in stepped Beacon Land Development’s Michael Abbott and Casey Paulsen – who have extensive experience of developing and operating private communities and resort properties in the United States, the Caribbean and Mexico – and they knew the course had a better chance of attracting homeowners if it was to undergo a dramatic transformation by a big-name design team pairing.

And so the Woods-Welling collaboration resulted in the total reconstruction of the old Blaketree layout, retaining most of the mature trees that were planted decades ago, though some lesser arboreal specimens were removed to open up the landscape in places. Only four of the old playing corridors were preserved and a couple of former fairway directions were reversed, partially to accommodate a new clubhouse and other recreational amenities.

Most of the new TifEagle greens are lie of the land, rather than raised platforms behind protecting sand, with plenty of room at the front to promote the ground game. Large, tightly-mown green surrounds also present golfers with interesting short-game options, allowing the bump-and-run shot to be played, and there’s also a general absence of fairway rough, giving players recovery options and speeding up the pace of play.

It appears to be fashionable nowadays for new golf projects to incorporate a "golf-lite" design option within the development and Bluejack National is no different in that respect. Similar to Coore & Crenshaw's 13-hole par three course at Bandon Dunes, there's a 10-hole floodlit short course here called "The Playgrounds" which can be used as a relaxing place to play and interact with other family members or as a cool hangout spot in the company of other golf buddies.

Reviews for Bluejack National

Description: The 18-hole layout at Bluejack National is the first headline design to open in the United States for Tiger Woods and architect Beau Welling. Rating: 9 out of 10 Reviews: 4
Colin Braithwaite

Awesome, creative, transformative.

For those of you who have read my reviews, I do not think I am prone to hyperbole, but Bluejack National is amazing. It starts when you are driving into the subdivision and you see the community recreation area, pool, water slide, football field…

I learned later it is called The Fort and in addition to the above has a mini-Fenway park, basketball, pickle ball, canoeing as well as indoor activities such as bowling, video game arcade and my personal favorite the ice cream station that is supposedly open 24/7. In addition to the above it has the expected amenities, tennis, walking trails, spa and fitness center.

Bluejack National is on the site of a former golf course called Blaketree. Its claim to fame was that you could rent the cabin and hunt the feral hogs. I played there about 11 years ago and my only memory was that the 9th hole was very difficult, long and with a big water carry on the approach. Bluejack is in Montgomery, TX, over an hour north of Houston. The name Bluejack refers to a type of oak tree. I was informed that when the new owners bought the place they were told there were hundreds of bluejacks on the property. The owners commissioned Texas A&M to do an inventory so that they could be marked and retained. The aggies came back and reported they had found none. As with many engagements where the answer does not meet the sponsors' expectations, they were told to do it again. This time A&M met with success as they found one bluejack. It is located on the right side of the par 5 11th about 180 yards out.

Upon arriving at Bluejack you will be overwhelmed with friendly faces and helping hands. There is no parking lot the valet will take care of your clubs and abscond with your keys. You will be given a quick over view of the lay of the land. Note well, Bluejack is expensive and everything is included, no tipping (except caddy). They only allow a few unaccompanied 4somes per week. Prior to booking you will be required to fill out a fact sheet with credit card info and you will be provided a list of all the fees that will be charged. When my head pro showed me this we both agreed that it was interesting concept and we hoped that I would be overwhelmed and I was. The fees include all drink and food and it will be pushed on you. My advice, show up hungry. I did get a cup of coffee and I headed over to “The Playgrounds” This is a lighted ten hole venue with holes ranging from approx. 50-100 yards. Next door is the range, one feature I loved was the large bulls-eye target about 150 yards out. I would liken this area to a party. Even though it was early in the AM, with the music hoppin’, you could see where this was a happenin’ place. Bluejack is NOT a stiff upper lip kind of club. No pretensions, yet very upscale.

To the course.

I was introduced to my caddy, Lucas and the AP I was set to play with Alex. I was told the Bluejack had a couple of traditions that occur on the first tee. On of which is putting to the tee marker with your driver for honors. Alex went first a was wee bit long and I was able to cut him. He said he did not lose at that very often. I explained that at our four club championship, I putt with my driver, so I probably had an unfair advantage. The next first tee tradition is that each golfer is announced. In hindsight, I wish I had recorded it, they pronounced my name right, with my nickname, hometown and club. Pretty cool. Amazingly I was even able to hit a good drive.

Another superb design feature are the Tiger tees. Typically, when you hear Tiger tees, you think way back. This is the exact opposite. What they did was calculate what the average driving distance was for an adult male and set up tees at that distance in the fairway. The concept is, dad can tee off and then the kids can hit in from approx. where his tee shot lands.

The first hole is a dogleg left with a bunker on the outside elbow and water on the inside. The 2nd hole is a reachable dogleg left par 5. To have a chance to get home in 3 favor the left side. I was in great shape and inexplicably I rolled my fairway wood. I was able to recover and get on in reg. The green is shaped similar to a three leaf clover and with deep bunkers protecting the right and left front. In another sign of the apocalypse I rolled in the birdie putt. This of course led my PBFU double bogey on the par 3 4th.

As I was chunking my ball around I noticed how trampled the pine straw and waste area was. Lucas explained this was caused by the feral hogs. Bluejack’s fairways are zoysia and in a fortuitous outcome, evidently zoysia blades are sharp and bother the snout of the hogs. Hence, they do not tear up the course itself.

The 4th is a longer par four. Favor center and left off the tee to avoid being blocked out. The left will also provide a better angle to run the ball onto the green. The par 5 5th is only reachable by the biggest hitters. To do so, one must carry the fairway bunker on the right. My recommendation is play for par. Favor the left side and what appears to be a greenside bunker on the left is a good 20 yards short of the green. Approaches will run right so favor the left side of the green. Anything right will leave a tough up and down.

Favor the left side of the fairway on the par 4 6th to avoid the ravenous fairway bunker on the right. After your tee shot the first halfway house is on the right, which I respectfully suggest should be a called a third way house. As we were boot scooting along it was not open when we went by. My hosts wanted to call to have someone open it and I assured them that I was fine and was here to play golf. As you walk towards the 6th green look to your right to scope out the short par 4 8th. There is sharp drop-off on the right side, called the green wall, which will push your tee shot further right and create a challenging approach.

The short par 3 7th is a pretty hole. Carry over water to a narrow two tiered redan green. Club selection is critical. The 8th is driveable, but favor the left side to avoid the green wall. I pitched up to about 12 feet but was above the hole. Alex, the AP, was pin high off the tee, but was rebuffed by the green wall. He hit a good pitch that skidded past my ball. It appeared that I would get a nice read, but slowly gravity took over and he rolled back just inside me. As we were eyeing the putt, I observed this looks faster than teenage sex. Both he and Lucas fell in love with the one liner. Please use it sparingly. I trickled mine in and then Alex topped me.

The long uphill par 4 9th is the number one handicap hole and it found me wanting as I posted my only double bogey. Favor the left off the tee. The green is pitched back to front with a false front. Take an extra club.

The backside starts off with a dogleg left that challenges your appetite. With three staggered bunkers on the inside elbow how much do you want to chew off? The par 5 11th (home of the aforementioned Bluejack) like the state of Texas is big with a huge fairway. However, it does slope significantly right to left, favor the right and I would suggest playing it as a 3-shot hole. The greenside bunker right is especially tricky as the green also slopes away from you.

After 11 you are at the next third-way house where the specialty is jerky. The grill here is designed for the carnivore in you, tips, sausage, brisket etc. Due to our meteoric pace, it was not open when we zipped through. Behind the grill is the tee box for the signature hole par 3 12th. Downhill over a water hazard this picturesque par 3 had an Augusta-like feel with a redan green and bunkers behind it. I was fortunate as the azaleas were in bloom behind the green.

The par 5 14th is reachable in two but be wary of the fairway bunkers that pinch the fairway on both the right and left. A long multi-tiered green toughens the hole. The short par 4 14th is a birdie opportunity. The best angle is to fly the right bunker to give you a wedge to the green. The 15th is a par 3 that is well protected by a greenside bunker left. Favor the right side as balls will trundle left. Avoid being above the hole, as this can lead to the dreaded three jack as I can attest to. The par 4 16th is a dogleg left. Big hitters can fly the bunker left to leave themselves a wedge. For the rest of us favor the right side. While the green is visibly sloped right to left if your approach is short and on the right third of the green you will be left with a nasty up and down.

From 16 we ambled on over to the third-way house. The grill had been fired up but alas the jerky machine was down. Perhaps next time.

The short uphill well-protected par 4 17th is driveable. Take the environmentals into consideration. If downwind, go for it. With three bunkers left and one right there is not a lot of room for error. The 18th is a long uphill par 4 and is the number 2 handicap hole. I hit a decent drive and needed a par to break 80. I asked Lucas if long was better. He said, no long is bad and then he said but so is short. He waited a second and then said right is bad also as is left. What is a guy to do? I caught my shot thin and while it gave me glimmer of hope it ultimately ran out of juice and came to a stop short left. I was faced with an 10-foot uphill flop shot to a tight pin. Fortunately, I reached deep and pulled one out of my sphincter and had a 10-inch tap in! What a great day.

This is an awesome course. I would have spent all day there, but alas I had a meeting. Expensive, but I strongly encourage golf aficionados to make the trek and savor the day.

Review of the Month April 2019

April 09, 2019

Fergal O'Leary

Bluejack National Golf Course - Photo by reviewerBluejack National is a breath of fresh air for the huge state of Texas.

The feel of the course is as close to the “situations” you find yourself in at Augusta National. I recognise that 99% of the world will never experience these “situations”, but to give you a sense of it – Bluejack has implemented its own interpretation of the green-side aprons, the run-offs and the magical flash bunkering to add visual deceptions just like Alister MacKenzie has done around the world.

The scale of the course is enormous, yet very tranquil. The change in elevation adds a massive test, as do the raised green sites which have been perfectly discovered.

May 29, 2018

Manc Golf

I have now played this course several times and my appreciation for it has grown over that time. Some people may discount how good it is simply because it bears Tiger’s signature, and not that of some of the more en vogue designers, and because it doesn’t dazzle with rugged or Bluejack National Golf Course - Photo by reviewer elaborate bunkering. TGR design showed surprising restraint by how few bunkers they used and by how lay of the land this design is. In many ways golf needs more of courses like this. It is an enjoyable walk, playable for all abilities, yet gets more difficult and interesting the closer you get to the hole. The strength of this course is in the interest on and around the greens and how the firm and tight conditions give the player both choices and perhaps the opportunity to second guess themselves. The course will continue to be interesting and fun because the angles matter and there is always a preferred place to miss for those who have learned the greens. By clearing out the areas under the trees, they have eliminated the most time consuming and least enjoyable part of golf, searching for wayward shots so rounds are always played at a nice pace.

February 04, 2018

Paul Rudovsky

Bluejack is Tiger Woods' first design in the USA and his second design worldwide (first being El Cardonal at Diamante in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico). The full 18 holes opened in April 2016, so not on any Top 100 yet. The property is about 750 acres in size and contains an 18 hole course, a 10 hole par three course (all holes<105 yards…lite at night…great for kids), a wonderful driving range which includes a “bulls eye” target about 180 yards out and 40’ high on a pole, a large lake stocked with a wide variety of fish, and a whole bunch of cabins being constructed. As Bluejack is a good hour and 15 minutes from Houston without traffic (a rare occurrence there), the cabins are rented (or purchased) by members for weekend stays…and with all the activities, it is a great place for the entire family…the place exudes “fun”. Interesting concept and got the sense it is working.

I played with a friend David W. and a friend of David’s Craig W. (both belong to Champions GC), and head professional Rich Barcelo, who is a very strong player (played on PGA Tour and Web.com Tour for 15 years) and great guy.

Put simply, this is a fun course that unabashedly is an effort to capture some of the concepts that made Augusta National great. From the back tees it is big…7552 yards (I played it at 6178) and par 72. It reminded me of the “pre-Tiger Proof” ANGC. Wide wide fairways (strategic design) creating seemingly easy long shots (but the angles define the approach shots), very few bunkers (39) but they are all massive, fabulous use of a highly contoured piece of land (shockingly contoured…I always thought of Houston as being very flat), very very tough around the greens, intimate routing (generally short walks from green to tee) on a huge piece of land, scenic beauty very much like ANGC with long leaf pines everywhere, and overall, a true test but really really great fun. Around the greens the lies are very tight…and the greens have big slopes, with subtle mounds and crests (me thinks Maxwell Rolls) on many. Also, given how new the greens are, they were firm and fast but receptive to well hit shots. Rich Barcelo said they were able to get them receptive with a very deep green punching.

Many have tried to capture the “sense” of ANGC through the years (two best examples that immediately come to mind are both Tom Fazio courses…Sage Valley in SC and Alotian in AR). Sage Valley in particular tries to capture the “look” of ANGC, but to my mind, it does not capture Augusta’s architectural subtleties. I walked off BJ with the sense that Tiger has captured these subtleties in a very unique and original way. Golf architecture aficionados are very familiar with the Macdonald/Raynor “template” hole concept. That is…building adaptations (not copies…but adaptations) of great old designs found mostly in GB&I. The most interesting “adaptation” to my mind is the Biarritz hole (e.g. #9 at Yale, #16 at Yeamans. #5 at Fishers, #11 at The Creek, #8 at Greenbrier White, etc etc etc). The original (which no longer exists) was located at Biarritz GC in southwestern France and featured a chasm/inlet from the sea in front of the green (like #15 at Cypress Point or #16 at Cabot Cliffs). As such a feature is available at very few locations, MacDonald and Raynor created an adaptation featuring a grass swale in front of or in the middle of the green.

At Bluejack, Tiger seems to have adapted “situations” or “features” as opposed to holes. For example, the 10th hole felt to me very much like the 10th at ANGC. At the green, Tiger added a large swale to the left and behind the green. To my mind, that swale was adapted from the swale to the left and behind ANGC’s 13th hole. Similarly, the back left corner of the 18th green at Bluejack reminded me of the front left corner of #4 at ANGC; the 18th is a totally different hole concept than the ANGC 4th…but I think Tiger used this feature here. I think this concept of “template features” or “template situations” is simply brilliant.

Here are some holes worthy of special comment:

Bluejack National 1st hole

--#1…dogleg left par 4, 458 yards (see picture of us with first hole in background)…only two bunkers, but note their size…and key feature is the slope to the right of the green…hit approach shot right of the green and watch the ball trickle down toward the pin…fun way to start a round and get you loose;

--#7 par 3, 158 yards; no bunkers but water short and left; two tiered green that is wide but shallow on left side (upper tier is on left); 4’ fall off behind left side of green. Bring your distance control or bail out right.

--#8 par 4 of 352 yards…drivable from forward tees (in my case if I manage to hit a few sprinkler heads)…green slopes sharply from back left to front right, and off the right side of the green land tumbles down a good 15-20’ (deceivingly, from tee this slope is not at all obvious)…pitch from down there is no fun at all; back left bunker slopes up to its back which means it yields mostly downhill lies to a green sloping sharply away from you (and toward that nasty slope to the right of the green). So you big boys, go at it, there are rewards but real risks

Bluejack National 13th hole

--#12 par 3 of 200 yards…green similar in shape and angle to ANGC #12 (BJ’s is somewhat larger); water (but no bunker) in front and two bunkers behind; this is some sort of hole from the back (but of course no architect can duplicate the winds at ANGC #12)

--#13 par 5 just 508 yards…four well placed bunkers in fairway keep you thinking about how to play this one; hole is dead straight and #14 is right behind it in same line…so from 13th tee you look down a corridor that is about 900 yards long (see pic);

--#17 short par 4 (337 yards) to shallow elevated green protected by massive and very deep bunker in front of green’s right side.

Yes, I liked it a lot!

If you get the chance to play it, do so!!

December 12, 2016