Established in 1959, the Bernard von Linburger-designed course at Golf & Country Club Blumisberg lies less than half an hour’s drive from Bern, with a mix of open meadow and woodland holes routed around a pleasantly undulating property.
From 2006 to 2012, the layout was comprehensively upgraded and partially redesigned in several stages. A step-by-step approach to the renovations was decided upon to minimise the disruption to play and to spread the cost over several years.
Peter Harradine of Harradine Golf designed and supervised the alterations to a layout that sits close to his place of birth in Bern and, truth be told, Peter and his father Donald have probably built or renovated most of the courses in the Alpine region.
A water storage facility and new green complex was built on the 13th and a complete new 5th hole constructed. Natural water features were added to the 6th and 7th, encouraging the proliferation of local flora and fauna.
A new irrigation system was installed to manage water resources more efficiently, numerous tees were reconstructed and all the bunkers were renovated, with fescue turf laid on bunker faces and quartz sand used instead of the previous lake sand.