Review for Boone Valley

Boone Valley is one of the more beautiful places I have played golf. I played it early on a summer morning, and when driving along the road into the club you turn to look at it and the valley suddenly opens up in front of you. As we were driving down the driveway, there was a light damp mist that was hanging over the course, waiting for the sun to come out and burn it off. At this point, I felt mesmerized at this seemingly mystic piece of land.

There is not a large membership at Boone, so if you do get the chance to play there, you are more than likely to be one of the only few groups on the course. We were the only group warming up on the pristine driving range, and as soon as we were ready we went over to the first tee (which is right beside the driving range, which I highly enjoyed) and off we went.

The course itself is challenging but slightly unremarkable. It is a big modern golf course that is supremely conditioned. At all points, while playing the course you will enjoy it, it is a beautiful golf course in a stunning location. The only thing I think is missing from Boone is some "soul", it feels like most of the holes are straight or straightish and the course is just asking you to hit the ball high and straight.

My favorite holes at Boone are generally the ones around the edges of the property. 4,5,6,11 and 12 particularly stand out to me. These holes, use the wooded surrounds and creeks/streams that feed the main lakes to provide more interest and strategy.

When leaving Boone, I was left with a strange feeling of what could have been. I had a great day, playing good golf with friends, the land and surrounds are stunning, the service and staff are top notch, but in my opinion, the course just doesn't match up to the piece of land it was built on.

Date: July 28, 2021