If the above article is inaccurate, please let us know by clicking here
Willie Park Jnr arrived in Lynchburg during 1922 to help determine the best location for a new golf course but it was Fred Findlay who actually set out the fairways, after being invited to finish off the project. Finally, on 1st July in 1929, the 18-hole layout was ready for play.
Course changes have occurred since then, of course, most noticeably in 1964 when the construction of a swimming pool resulted in a resequencing of holes (today’s 9th was originally the 1st and the 1st used to be the 11th) and in 1981 when Rees Jones was involved in some redesign work.
Today’s course stretches to 6,787 yards from the back tees, playing to a par of 72. Holes 1 and 3 are par fives (the second of which doglegs right at almost 90 degrees to the green) and the par four 6th features a water hazard short of the green. On the back nine, the longest of the par threes (at 227 yards) is played at the 17th.