Wayne Stiles and John Van Kleek were commissioned to build a golf course on the Boothbay Peninsula in 1918 by a group of wealthy Boston businessmen whose aim was to attract tourism into the coastal town of Boothbay Harbor.
In 1921, Boothbay Region Country Club (as it was then called) opened its 9-hole layout, which was expanded to 18 holes at the start of the new millennium by long-time superintendent Clayton Longfellow and Dick Harris, a Maine golf icon, whose management company operated the Boothbay golfing facility.
In 2013, businessman Paul Coulombe purchased Boothbay Country Club (he later renamed it Boothbay Harbor). Soon after Coulombe had sealed the deal, Jeff Harris, President of Harris Golf commented:
“The club has a place both in history and in the hearts of golfers far and wide. This is a club steeped in history. Francis Ouimet, the winner of the 1913 U.S. Open, held the course record here for many years. The layout is a classic Wayne Stiles design from golf’s Golden Age of architecture. And for generations of golfers from all over New England, Boothbay is full of special memories.”
Coulombe promptly brought in Bruce Hepner (former design associate with Ron Forse and Tom Doak) to upgrade the course. The $4 million redesign project included a new irrigation system, new tees and the relocation of green complexes. The revised course now measures 6,655 yards, some 300 yards longer than the previous layout.
The cost of the golf course redesign, however, paled into insignificance when compared to the sumptuous new clubhouse, wellness center, luxury pool, tennis courts and a state-of-the-art fitness center which opened in 2018.