Bretwood (North) - New Hampshire - USA

New Hampshire (NH) 03431,

• Chuck Shortsleeve

• Geoff Cornish and Hugh Barrett

• John Pawlak

Reviews for Bretwood (North)

Description: The North layout at the 36-hole Bretwood Golf Course complex is a Geoff Cornish/Hugh Barrett co-design where water hazards come into play at more than half the holes on the scorecard. Rating: 4 out of 10 Reviews: 1
Colin Braithwaite

Bretwood North in Keene, NH is one of two courses at this location. The other is cleverly named Bretwood South. Personally, I preferred the south…The North courses meanders around the river.

One thing you will notice here are the proliferation of covered bridges. Kind of quaint but a little excessive in my opinion. The first hole is a long par four with bunkers protecting the green left and right. The first par five is not reachable with the river running down the left side. Not a good sign for hookers like me. To add insult to injury the number one handicap hole. The first par three is the longest at 200 yards. The 4th hole is a penthouse or outhouse hole. A short par 4 with your approach over a water hazard. The 5th is a par 5 dogleg right with a BAB on the inside elbow. Big hitters can cut the corner and get home in two. I did not. The 6th leans left with a water hazard on the left side. Once again, not a hooker’s heaven. The 7th is the 3rd par five on the front and is an S shape. Big hitters can get home, but I was just hoping to not hook it in the river. Sadly, it was close, but truth, justice and The American Way persevered over the dark forces of evil. The 8th is a forgettable par three. The 9th is a long par four with the green protected by a large bunker left.

The back starts with a long par four paralleling the 9th. The fairway narrow as you get closer to the green. Instead of a bunker left there is a small water hazard that I was able to find with ease. I loved 11 and 12 because they went left and I actually birdied one of them. It was a tough day. The 13th is the signature short island par three. A fun hole, if you hot the green. I was happy when I saw the 14th leaned left, until I hooked it into that pesky river. The 15th is a long par four that leans left and gets really tight inside 200 yards. The last par 5 suited my eye and my game as it leaned left and there was no river left! The green is well protected front with bunkers. The 18th is an interesting hole as the green seems perched in a water hazard. As I hooked it off the tee my angle was better than most.

Good value course and relatively flat.

September 22, 2020