Founded as Briergate Country Club in 1921, when C. H. Alison set out the original golf course, the club was renamed as Briarwood Country Club in 1958. The Illinois Open was held here for the first time in more than fifty years in 2017.
Tom Doak commented as follows in The Confidential Guide to Golf Courses: “Alison’s work is never bland, but this course is on a smaller property than most, and doesn’t really have the same sense of expansiveness and scale. It’s also got a lot of big trees of the kind that start to interfere with play, but are too big to take down.”
Writing in The Chicago Area Golf Guide, Daniel Wexler commented as follows: “Following decades of changes made by unsympathetic hands, a 2001 Mark Mungeam renovation at least brought back something of a classic feel, leaving a mature parkland track that many consider among Chicagoland’s best.”