Broadstone - Dorset - England

Wentworth Drive,
Broadstone,
Dorset,
BH18 8DQ,

Originally known as the Dorset Golf Club, Lord Wimborne founded Broadstone in 1898 and Tom Dunn designed the course. “Broadstone is, I think, rather an easy course to remember,” wrote Bernard Darwin, in his 1910 book, The Golf Courses of the British Isles, “which is the same as saying that the holes have each got very definite characters of their own; at any rate, although I have seen them but once, I can play them all quite clearly in my mind’s eye, save only the park holes, which, truth to tell, are not much worth remembering.” Harry Colt was later commissioned to redesign Broadstone, utilising a glorious tract of heathland to the west of the railway line to build seven new holes. Thus, Broadstone became a quintessential heathland course and little has changed since.

Broadstone Golf Club - 8th holeThe course is laid out on glorious rolling terrain. The elevated homeward nine provides panoramic views of the Purbeck Hills and Poole Harbour. Measuring 6,315 yards from the back tees and 5,467 yards from the forward tees, Broadstone is not a championship layout. Having said this, a number of important amateur tournaments have been held here, testing some of the very best golfers. And although Broadstone cannot offer length from the tee, it can offer beauty, with profusion of heather, gorse, birch and pines.

In many ways, Broadstone is a shorter, cross between Sunningdale and Walton Heath, undoubtedly Broadstone is an outstanding heathland course and worthy of inclusion on any serious golfing itinerary.

“I feel entirely at peace with Broadstone,” wrote Darwin, “which has some really fine holes, and is as pleasant a spot to play golf in­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­—as breezy, and pretty, and quiet—as anyone could desire.”­­­­­­­­­­

Reviews for Broadstone

Description: Broadstone Golf Club is laid out on glorious rolling terrain. The elevated homeward nine provides panoramic views of the Purbeck Hills and Poole Harbour. Rating: 8.1 out of 10 Reviews: 41
Burge

This was our second visit here, having previously visited in 2014 and was the third day of five of our Dorset tour. Coincidentally the same day as the previous review.

This is a beautiful course, worthy of its ranking as number 1 for the county when the greens are at the (normal) best – we originally tried to book in at Parkstone, but they couldn’t accommodate us so we returned to Broadstone instead (the cost is very similar). Interestingly we were told by a few different people on our travels that Broadstone is significantly the better of the two – although we can’t vouch for that ourselves.

The day we played there the greens were being ‘repaired’, and as a result we were offered an immediate discount to the winter green fee rate, which we felt was a very generous offer. The greens themselves therefore weren’t great but they were playable, albeit a bit bobbly. Clearly the standards are high at Broadstone, and we do know from our previous visit there that the greens are normally very high quality, although probably not as fast as Ferndown’s where we played the following day.

Broadstone offers a stern but fair challenge to the average golfer – in places its fairly demanding off of the tee with the potential to “run-off” fairways all too easy, but the holes are varied and offer some spectacular scenery. Its definitely one of those courses that’s good to play more than once, to know the layout and clubbing required at some of the holes. Having said that, it’s largely very fair and simply requires good golf to score well.

Particular mention for the 7th hole – effectively a blind tee shot followed by a long shot in across a ravine of sorts – not for the faint-hearted !

All-in-all, a stiffer test than Ferndown but we felt worth the green fee rate.

July 19, 2016

August 18, 2016

Thank you for your kind review, the greens are now much improved and we look forward to welcoming you back to see for yourselves.

Thomas Stewart

Played the course on July 7th as part of our tour of Dorset courses. Nice fairways, tee boxes, bunkers and a challenging interesting golf course but the greens were well below average. I would be surprised if the green keeper is not aware that he has a serious issue and it is not a simple fix.

July 07, 2016

July 09, 2016

I am glad that you enjoyed other aspects of the course and apologies that yes, we have had some issues with the greens during the later part of June and early July. They are improving now and we look forward to welcoming you back when they are in better condition.

Tom Hargreaves

This is a proper golfers golf course. It’s set on natural terrain rolling through the Dorset heathland with rugged bunkers and slick greens. We had so much fun. The course is short on the scorecard but plays much longer with large elevation changes and a meagre par 70.

There are some standout holes. I loved the par 3 6th hole, it forces you to make take on a bold shot carrying your ball over a ravine to the back of the green. Those that do will be rewarded with a bank at the back of the green to carry you ball down to the hole. The 13th and 14th are a fantastic pair of par 4s, 13 is brutal hole which tests you on both your drive and then a long 2nd into a hanging green - 14 gives you something back with a stunning elevated drive and a chance at birdie.

Overall it was a great day of golf; Broadstone has many parallels with Sunningdale New and in my opinion was as fun if not more fun to play. It’s superior to many of the more famous Surrey courses and very welcoming to visitors. I wish I was a member.

April 26, 2016

July 06, 2016
Really glad that you enjoyed your visit, thank you for your kind review.
Thomas Briggs
It is not often that you walk off a golf course and say that you cannot remember a single weak hole (although the 18th is not as strong as some) From start to finish each hole was a delight to play and having played about 60 of the top 100 courses, Broadstone has to be much stronger than 90 in that list? Top 40 at least is where both myself and playing partner would have put it. Better than Parkstone, better than Hankley Common, much better than Moortown, Little Aston, Southport & Ainsdale and many more on the list! I am happy playing at Burnham & Berrow but would be just as happy to be playing at Broadstone!
September 25, 2015

March 23, 2016
Thank you for your very kind words, much appreciated.
Alan Walker
My wife and I received a warm welcome at the Club. The booking process was easy and considerate in that the use of a buggy was recommended to cover the undulating terrain. The course itself is very picturesque, challenging but stimulating in making the golfer think carefully about his or her shots. The course was in excellent condition. We would definitely return if we are in the area again.
August 17, 2015

August 22, 2015
Thank you for your kind comments, look forward to seeing you again.
Steve Searle
This review follows on from my comments below dated 25 Aug 2014.I returned to Broadstone as the guest of a member in August 2015. I found the course to be in good condition, playing fast due to the relatively dry summer. The greens were firm, running exceptionally well and at a good pace.My last report regarding Broadstone had mentioned that the fairways on some holes were not at their best but I'm glad to say that this had been rectified.Unfortunately I have to say I have my reservations about the condition of some of the bunkers. Many of those reintroduced in line with the original design don't seem to have settled well and the distribution of sand is inconsistent. Even worse is that it appears the base layer of the bunkers is coming through into the sand as witnessed at the front right of the par 3 8th. I think this needs to be looked at as a matter of urgency and it is indeed a shame as they look fantastic from the tee or fairway. Bunkers aside, the course was, as usual, a delight to play. The layout never fails to deliver a great round of golf in wonderful surroundings with superb views over the surrounding countryside. There is indeed something special watching buzzards flying overhead and standing within yards of deer whilst stood on the 17th tee. Broadstone still remains a special place to play golf.
August 11, 2015

August 22, 2015
Thank you for your review and for your nice comments. We did indeed have an issue on the bunker on 8th, made worse by a recent storm and apologies that this had not been resolved before your visit, it has now been repaired. Glad that you still enjoyed your game.
tom woolley
Broadstone GC is my favourite course in the UK. It must be one of the only courses whereby you could say every hole is a signature hole, they are all spectacular. I travelled from mid KENT to come to Broadstone and it is worth the drive. Staff are all very helpful, good service, nice food. Keep up the great work Thank you
July 28, 2015

July 29, 2015
Thank you for your kind review, really glad it is your favorite course in the UK. Regards, Ed Richardson
Nigel Everett
I have brought a few parties to Broadstone which is the highlight of our 3 day tour of Dorset.A fabulous golf course. Very helpful and professional office staff and friendly and welcoming in the pro shop.

July 29, 2015
Thank you for your positive feedback, really glad you enjoyed the course. regards, Ed Richardson
Paul Barron
Check out the ‘Tyning’ policy at Boadstone golf course!Myself and three colleagues were on tour in the Bournemouth area and were looking forward to playing the number one ranked course in Dorset. On our arrival the pro offered some advice on marker posts and told us there was no temporary greens in operation and “enjoy your day boys”. When we got to our approach shot to the first green we saw one of the green staff hollow tyning the green, he kindly allowed us to putt out through the soil cores and sand. You can imagine how we felt when he told us that there were a further 10 greens that had been hollow tyned and a temporary green to negotiate. I can wax lyrical about this Dunn/Colt design with some memorable holes all day, but all of us struggled to come to terms with our line and pace once on the greens.After our round I found that the general manger, assistant and head pro had gone home and could only speak to two assistant pros about my complaint and to their credit they immediately apologised. Unable to talk to the general manager Ed Richardson or the head pro, I left them both the question below to prepare to answer on my expected phone call.“Why weren’t we informed about this scheduled maintenance program when booking and during our conversation with the pro upon arrival “?When I rang up, Tracy who had been made aware of the situation offered her sympathy and apology and immediately asked if we would like to return within the year to play the course again for free “in all its glory”. I explained that it was a nice offer but myself and playing partners were from Cambridgeshire and it would be too expensive to return and our next tour was going to be in Northumberland. She asked us what we would we like to happen and I replied that a £10 refund for each player would be an acceptable goodwill gesture. She said that seemed fair but would ring me back after consulting with the manager.The reply via a somewhat crestfallen Tracy (shame the manager couldn’t ring me himself) was that Broadstone’s policy was no refunds and because we had used the county card and paid £55.00 (??!!) we can come and play again within the year for £36 each! All of a sudden the ‘free’ round was off the table. Our course in Cambridge are undergoing a hollow tyning in August and the green fees will be reduced by 50% for all fee paying players, whether county card holders or not. It would seem that the reputation/integrity of the club have been compromised for the sake of a nominal refund. We wish we had Gone to Ferndown or Parkstone.P Barron21/7/15
July 25, 2015

July 27, 2015
Apologies that you felt our tining policy was not as generous as you would like. Firstly, it was our mistake to not have informed you of the possibility of one temporary green and apologies for this. It was for this reason that we apologised and we offered the return visit at members guest rate, I believe the 'free round offer' is a misunderstanding from you, this would not have been offered. All clubs have their own policy in this area and as were just pencil tining, a less disruptive procedure than hollow tining, we reduced our green fee by over 30%, from £80 to £55 for all visiting golfers that week. This still represents excellent value for a top course in July, even if the appearance of the greens was not perfect due to essential work. The offer of the members guest rate return still stands and we hope that you take advantage of this when next in the area. Thank you for your feedback.
Jeff M
This was our first visit to Broadstone GC as a society and what a super day it turned out to be. The course was in excellent condition for the time of year and especially so considering the overnight rain. We all thought that the course was outstanding. Whenever you walked off of one green to the next tee you imagined that the next hole was going to be perhaps a bit ‘ordinary’ after the last one but not at all. Great golf holes just kept on coming !!! We will definitely be returning next year.
April 29, 2015

July 27, 2015
Thank you very much for your kind positive feedback, look forward to welcoming you back next year. Ed Richardson, General Manager