Broadstone - Dorset - England

BH18 8DQ,

• Ed Richardson

• Tom Dunn, Harry Colt

• Adey Harris

Originally known as the Dorset Golf Club, Lord Wimborne founded Broadstone in 1898 and Tom Dunn designed the course. “Broadstone is, I think, rather an easy course to remember,” wrote Bernard Darwin, in his 1910 book, The Golf Courses of the British Isles, “which is the same as saying that the holes have each got very definite characters of their own; at any rate, although I have seen them but once, I can play them all quite clearly in my mind’s eye, save only the park holes, which, truth to tell, are not much worth remembering.” Harry Colt was later commissioned to redesign Broadstone, utilising a glorious tract of heathland to the west of the railway line to build seven new holes. Thus, Broadstone became a quintessential heathland course and little has changed since.

Broadstone Golf Club - 8th holeThe course is laid out on glorious rolling terrain. The elevated homeward nine provides panoramic views of the Purbeck Hills and Poole Harbour. Measuring 6,315 yards from the back tees and 5,467 yards from the forward tees, Broadstone is not a championship layout. Having said this, a number of important amateur tournaments have been held here, testing some of the very best golfers. And although Broadstone cannot offer length from the tee, it can offer beauty, with profusion of heather, gorse, birch and pines.

In many ways, Broadstone is a shorter, cross between Sunningdale and Walton Heath, undoubtedly Broadstone is an outstanding heathland course and worthy of inclusion on any serious golfing itinerary.

“I feel entirely at peace with Broadstone,” wrote Darwin, “which has some really fine holes, and is as pleasant a spot to play golf in­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­—as breezy, and pretty, and quiet—as anyone could desire.”­­­­­­­­­­

Click to visit Broadstone Golf Club

Reviews for Broadstone

Description: Broadstone Golf Club is laid out on glorious rolling terrain. The elevated homeward nine provides panoramic views of the Purbeck Hills and Poole Harbour. Rating: 5.0769230769231 out of 6 Reviews: 10

This is a proper golfers golf course. It’s set on natural terrain rolling through the Dorset heathland with rugged bunkers and slick greens. We had so much fun. The course is short on the scorecard but plays much longer with large elevation changes and a meagre par 70.

There are some standout holes. I loved the par 3 6th hole, it forces you to make take on a bold shot carrying your ball over a ravine to the back of the green. Those that do will be rewarded with a bank at the back of the green to carry you ball down to the hole. The 13th and 14th are a fantastic pair of par 4s, 13 is brutal hole which tests you on both your drive and then a long 2nd into a hanging green - 14 gives you something back with a stunning elevated drive and a chance at birdie.

Overall it was a great day of golf; Broadstone has many parallels with Sunningdale New and in my opinion was as fun if not more fun to play. It’s superior to many of the more famous Surrey courses and very welcoming to visitors. I wish I was a member.

April 26, 2016

2 people found this review helpful and 2 did not
July 06, 2016
Really glad that you enjoyed your visit, thank you for your kind review.
It is not often that you walk off a golf course and say that you cannot remember a single weak hole (although the 18th is not as strong as some) From start to finish each hole was a delight to play and having played about 60 of the top 100 courses, Broadstone has to be much stronger than 90 in that list? Top 40 at least is where both myself and playing partner would have put it. Better than Parkstone, better than Hankley Common, much better than Moortown, Little Aston, Southport & Ainsdale and many more on the list! I am happy playing at Burnham & Berrow but would be just as happy to be playing at Broadstone!
September 25, 2015

2 people found this review helpful and 2 did not
March 23, 2016
Thank you for your very kind words, much appreciated.
My wife and I received a warm welcome at the Club. The booking process was easy and considerate in that the use of a buggy was recommended to cover the undulating terrain. The course itself is very picturesque, challenging but stimulating in making the golfer think carefully about his or her shots. The course was in excellent condition. We would definitely return if we are in the area again.
August 17, 2015

August 22, 2015
Thank you for your kind comments, look forward to seeing you again.
This review follows on from my comments below dated 25 Aug 2014.I returned to Broadstone as the guest of a member in August 2015. I found the course to be in good condition, playing fast due to the relatively dry summer. The greens were firm, running exceptionally well and at a good pace.My last report regarding Broadstone had mentioned that the fairways on some holes were not at their best but I'm glad to say that this had been rectified.Unfortunately I have to say I have my reservations about the condition of some of the bunkers. Many of those reintroduced in line with the original design don't seem to have settled well and the distribution of sand is inconsistent. Even worse is that it appears the base layer of the bunkers is coming through into the sand as witnessed at the front right of the par 3 8th. I think this needs to be looked at as a matter of urgency and it is indeed a shame as they look fantastic from the tee or fairway. Bunkers aside, the course was, as usual, a delight to play. The layout never fails to deliver a great round of golf in wonderful surroundings with superb views over the surrounding countryside. There is indeed something special watching buzzards flying overhead and standing within yards of deer whilst stood on the 17th tee. Broadstone still remains a special place to play golf.
August 11, 2015

August 22, 2015
Thank you for your review and for your nice comments. We did indeed have an issue on the bunker on 8th, made worse by a recent storm and apologies that this had not been resolved before your visit, it has now been repaired. Glad that you still enjoyed your game.
Broadstone GC is my favourite course in the UK. It must be one of the only courses whereby you could say every hole is a signature hole, they are all spectacular. I travelled from mid KENT to come to Broadstone and it is worth the drive. Staff are all very helpful, good service, nice food. Keep up the great work Thank you
July 28, 2015

July 29, 2015
Thank you for your kind review, really glad it is your favorite course in the UK. Regards, Ed Richardson
I have brought a few parties to Broadstone which is the highlight of our 3 day tour of Dorset.A fabulous golf course. Very helpful and professional office staff and friendly and welcoming in the pro shop.

July 29, 2015
Thank you for your positive feedback, really glad you enjoyed the course. regards, Ed Richardson
Check out the ‘Tyning’ policy at Boadstone golf course!Myself and three colleagues were on tour in the Bournemouth area and were looking forward to playing the number one ranked course in Dorset. On our arrival the pro offered some advice on marker posts and told us there was no temporary greens in operation and “enjoy your day boys”. When we got to our approach shot to the first green we saw one of the green staff hollow tyning the green, he kindly allowed us to putt out through the soil cores and sand. You can imagine how we felt when he told us that there were a further 10 greens that had been hollow tyned and a temporary green to negotiate. I can wax lyrical about this Dunn/Colt design with some memorable holes all day, but all of us struggled to come to terms with our line and pace once on the greens.After our round I found that the general manger, assistant and head pro had gone home and could only speak to two assistant pros about my complaint and to their credit they immediately apologised. Unable to talk to the general manager Ed Richardson or the head pro, I left them both the question below to prepare to answer on my expected phone call.“Why weren’t we informed about this scheduled maintenance program when booking and during our conversation with the pro upon arrival “?When I rang up, Tracy who had been made aware of the situation offered her sympathy and apology and immediately asked if we would like to return within the year to play the course again for free “in all its glory”. I explained that it was a nice offer but myself and playing partners were from Cambridgeshire and it would be too expensive to return and our next tour was going to be in Northumberland. She asked us what we would we like to happen and I replied that a £10 refund for each player would be an acceptable goodwill gesture. She said that seemed fair but would ring me back after consulting with the manager.The reply via a somewhat crestfallen Tracy (shame the manager couldn’t ring me himself) was that Broadstone’s policy was no refunds and because we had used the county card and paid £55.00 (??!!) we can come and play again within the year for £36 each! All of a sudden the ‘free’ round was off the table. Our course in Cambridge are undergoing a hollow tyning in August and the green fees will be reduced by 50% for all fee paying players, whether county card holders or not. It would seem that the reputation/integrity of the club have been compromised for the sake of a nominal refund. We wish we had Gone to Ferndown or Parkstone.P Barron21/7/15
July 25, 2015

July 27, 2015
Apologies that you felt our tining policy was not as generous as you would like. Firstly, it was our mistake to not have informed you of the possibility of one temporary green and apologies for this. It was for this reason that we apologised and we offered the return visit at members guest rate, I believe the 'free round offer' is a misunderstanding from you, this would not have been offered. All clubs have their own policy in this area and as were just pencil tining, a less disruptive procedure than hollow tining, we reduced our green fee by over 30%, from £80 to £55 for all visiting golfers that week. This still represents excellent value for a top course in July, even if the appearance of the greens was not perfect due to essential work. The offer of the members guest rate return still stands and we hope that you take advantage of this when next in the area. Thank you for your feedback.
This was our first visit to Broadstone GC as a society and what a super day it turned out to be. The course was in excellent condition for the time of year and especially so considering the overnight rain. We all thought that the course was outstanding. Whenever you walked off of one green to the next tee you imagined that the next hole was going to be perhaps a bit ‘ordinary’ after the last one but not at all. Great golf holes just kept on coming !!! We will definitely be returning next year.
April 29, 2015

July 27, 2015
Thank you very much for your kind positive feedback, look forward to welcoming you back next year. Ed Richardson, General Manager
Big course and a big welcome. The unassuming drive into the course does not prepare you for what awaits. A well appointed modern clubhouse with excellent facilities and great views across the opening and closing holes. Excellent practice facilities adjacent to the clubhouse. Driving range, chipping green, putting green. A warm welcome from the professional and all staff whether catering or bar making the visitor feel as though their patronage is valued and a genuine sense that they all know what you are about to experience on the course. There is an excellent half way house where food can be preordered from the seventh tee by intercom so it's ready when you complete the hole. A nice touch and tasty bacon sandwich. In the clubhouse I can heartily recommend the club sandwich but ensure this is partaken after the round as you may not want to go out if eaten before. Friendly members complete the welcome and are always keen to hear of your experience and provide a knowing smile when you can't help but enthuse about their course. Then there is the experience. Each hole has it's own character but all fit into the whole. A very strategic course where a drive into the correct position gives the best approach to large undulating greens. The bunkering is spectacular with the Colt signature heather adorning most of the traps. You must bring your “A” game to score well but the course is still enjoyable if not quite on form. Punishments are strict but not penal. You may not like the lie you've found with an errant shot but in general you will have a shot. The one part of your game that must be on song is the putting. The greens are fast and undulating and a deft touch is required to avoid the three putt. Ensure you are confidant from 4 feet because these are generally the tap-in lengths. The course is laid out on a vast expanse of natural heathland and makes you feel part of something bigger. Millionaire golf? Yes in feeling but not in price. A must play on any visit to the area.
April 29, 2015

1 person found this review helpful and 1 did not
July 27, 2015
Thank you for your detailed feedback and I would heartily endorse your Club Sandwich recommendation! Really glad you enjoyed your visit. Ed Richardson, General Manager
I have been visiting Broadstone on and off over the past 10 years and recently on a regular basis as the guest of a member. Once again when I played in August 2014 the greens were a delight. They were firm, ran true and had a good pace to them. I think it would be fair to say the course continues to develop nicely with some good changes to its layout. The 5th hole has been made much better with the tee being moved over to the left creating a more challenging tee shot. The bunkering too has been altered and overall it is a better golf hole. I also like the fact that a lot of the trees that lined some of the holes have been dramatically ‘thinned out’. This has resulted in some wonderful views across the course being opened up. This is no better demonstrated than down the left-side of the 4th where a splendid vista of the 7th has been created. The sight of the heather in the distance along with the rolling terrain is worth the green fee alone. Well done to the club for undertaking this very labour intensive task as the results are undoubtedly worth it.

Broadstone, in my opinion has the potential to advance itself quite dramatically up the rankings, however, it must be careful. I say that as some of the fairways were not at their best. I think it is to be applauded that the club wants to develop and amend holes or alter bunkers back to the original design. But, it must not lose sight of the condition to one of its core components. In their defence my host tells me that the club is only too aware of this and plans are in order to iron out the issue so I’m sure they will rectify this is due course.

On a positive note, all of the par 3’s at Broadstone are worthy of special mention - they are wonderful holes. It’s difficult to pick out a favourite but at a push I’d say mine is the 6th. The bunkers all seem to be placed perfectly and the green is none too deep. You need to hit a high mid-iron to hold this particular green, which is framed beautifully by trees as you stand on the tee. If you don’t end up on the green, getting up and down is tricky to say the least.

The remainder of the course continues to throw other superb golf holes at you. The 7th is a delight; especially the second shot which is pretty much all or nothing over a massive cross-bunker and expanse of purple heather. The 13th hole is another strong par 4 with a wide landing area for the drive. The approach to this heavily sloping green is particularly challenging. Make a birdie or par here and you can feel particularly pleased with yourself. Other good par 4’s can be found at the 2nd with its very tricky approach. Invariably your approach shot is from an uphill lie to a two-tier green sitting above you. Land short and the ball dies! Go long and there are bushes none too far from the back edge of the green. A testing hole to say the least! The 15th is another lovely hole. Its not too long but the view from the tee is splendid and the second shot to a green that sits out of view behind numerous cross-bunkers has to be well judged to finish close.

I always enjoy playing at Broadstone as it offers a wonderful variety of holes with superb views. Perhaps its only negative is the lack of a good par 5 on the back nine but that is being ultra critical. I’ve given Broadstone a 5-ball marking as I’m sure they will continue to take the course forward. Where there are problems, I know they’ll address them without delay. It is a course I always enjoy playing and on this occasion it was no different. Steve Searle
August 25, 2014

David Morgan
September 01, 2014
Steve, thank you very much for your very fair and balanced review of Broadstone, we are delighted that you enjoyed playing our course. The Club is taking some very positive steps to continue to improve the overall condition of the course. Our investment policy is very strong and will see the club place a lot of emphasis on further improving the playability and quality of all the surfaces over the next 2-3 years. We look forward to welcoming you back again sometime.