Broadstone - Dorset - England

BH18 8DQ,

• Ed Richardson

• Tom Dunn, Harry Colt

• Adey Harris

Originally known as the Dorset Golf Club, Lord Wimborne founded Broadstone in 1898 and Tom Dunn designed the course. “Broadstone is, I think, rather an easy course to remember,” wrote Bernard Darwin, in his 1910 book, The Golf Courses of the British Isles, “which is the same as saying that the holes have each got very definite characters of their own; at any rate, although I have seen them but once, I can play them all quite clearly in my mind’s eye, save only the park holes, which, truth to tell, are not much worth remembering.” Harry Colt was later commissioned to redesign Broadstone, utilising a glorious tract of heathland to the west of the railway line to build seven new holes. Thus, Broadstone became a quintessential heathland course and little has changed since.

Broadstone Golf Club - 8th holeThe course is laid out on glorious rolling terrain. The elevated homeward nine provides panoramic views of the Purbeck Hills and Poole Harbour. Measuring 6,315 yards from the back tees and 5,467 yards from the forward tees, Broadstone is not a championship layout. Having said this, a number of important amateur tournaments have been held here, testing some of the very best golfers. And although Broadstone cannot offer length from the tee, it can offer beauty, with profusion of heather, gorse, birch and pines.

In many ways, Broadstone is a shorter, cross between Sunningdale and Walton Heath, undoubtedly Broadstone is an outstanding heathland course and worthy of inclusion on any serious golfing itinerary.

“I feel entirely at peace with Broadstone,” wrote Darwin, “which has some really fine holes, and is as pleasant a spot to play golf in­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­—as breezy, and pretty, and quiet—as anyone could desire.”­­­­­­­­­­

Click to visit Broadstone Golf Club

Reviews for Broadstone

Description: Broadstone Golf Club is laid out on glorious rolling terrain. The elevated homeward nine provides panoramic views of the Purbeck Hills and Poole Harbour. Rating: 5.0769230769231 out of 6 Reviews: 10

I played Broadstone on a drizzly overcast Sunday afternoon with my brother. Even after having recently played Pebble, Spyglass and Olympic in California I can succinctly recall more than half of the holes on this beautiful heathland course. From the carry over the heather on the first tee, the lake in front of the third green to the carry over the giant bunker and heather on the 7, I loved it! I can safely say its my favorite course on the South Coast. The greens and fairways were impeccable.
August 07, 2014

1 person found this review helpful and 1 did not
Dorset now has five courses in England’s Top 100 making it a must visit county, especially around the Bournemouth/Poole area. These top 5 will have various positions depending on preference but most will have Broadstone top of the pile – in fact the course is close to a 6-ball ranking for me, with just a small reason holding me back (will mention at the end). The 1st is a perfect starting hole – a short par-5 with a small stream to consider about 80 yards from the green and normally is perfect for setting a good standard of pace of play. Super short par-4’s at the 3rd and the 5th are great to play and then the 7th is still one of the best mid-length par-4’s in the south of England. The biggest tip for the tee shot on the 7th is aim further right than you think; the ground gathers right to left and will give an easier shot across the valley to the green. The par-3 8th is now better than ever, two reasons – a brand new half-way hut near the tee and new impressive bunkering short and right of the green. The last third of the course is very strong; the 13th and 14th are decent par-4’s and two pars are a great achievement, then the great looking par-15th; a short hole from the very top drawer. The 17th hole could be described as a little like the 3rd hole – but with such a gap between the holes, this is no problem at all. The closing hole needs a slight draw from the tee, leaving an approach to a fairly long green, don’t be too long though as there is a large bunker at the back of the green just waiting! Another great feature here is that, in my opinion the final green is in the optimum position; sandwiched between the clubhouse and the first tee – perfect. Closing note and the way the course may get my 6-ball opinion next time; currently there is not a par-5 on the back nine – it looks like there is enough land to extend either the 13th or the 16th holes – worth considering I think...
July 26, 2014

A small group of us booked in recently to play the 3 Top Dorset courses we had heard so much about, Ferndown Parkstone and Broadstone. All 3 courses where of a very high standard and in excellent condition. We played Ferndown and Parkstone first and all of our group agreed they were great venues and we had chosen our golfing trip well then we bumped into Broadstone golf club on the last day.......WOW what a golf course this is. From the second we arrived in the pro shop to the moment we left the club it was an exceptional experience. The head professional made a point of speaking to each of us about the course and was even their to see us off the 18th green at the end and as for the course it was truly exceptional. Each hole is very different and if there is 4 better par 3's on a course I am yet to play them. It is a tough course so be sure to take a few spare balls out with you. There seems to be a local rivalry among the course we noted particularly between Parkstone and Broadstone and as much as we agreed Parkstone was a nice venue the rivalry seems a little strange as Broadstone is quite clearly a superior golf course in every way. It's going straight into my top 5 and can't wait to have another go at it.
July 16, 2014

The course has been having trouble with the weather this winter and the 18th is closed (so they have replaced it with a 106 yard par 3). The club reduced our fee by £15. The pro came to the first tee to chat to us and advise us how to play the course, he drove round in a buggy to check how we were getting on (how many pros take the time to do this with visitors?) The course is a very good layout, although the stroke one 7th is a bit silly with a blind tee shot and blind second shot. The back nine is the better half as everything is laid out in front of you. The greens were fast and you had to keep the ball under the hole, as some putts could roll off the green. The views from the clubhouse are good looking down the 1st and 18th. I certainly plan to return and use the knowledge from the first round to improve my score; local knowledge is key to making a score round here. Finally you need to be aware that there are a few hills to walk up and down, so you may need a buggy (they have a mind of their own and will tell you off if you do something wrong!)
May 17, 2014

0 people found this review helpful and 1 did not
We have been threatening to play here for a number of years as a friend is a member and while he keeps inviting us for some reason it just never came together. The course is lovely heathland course with 5, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14, 16 and 17 standing out. We were fortunate that the member and my father both had a bad back so they caddied for us gave some hints and tips. On the 17th they have discovered and old tee right on top of the hill which we went up and had a look from and it looks fantastic. I am hoping to play there again later this year.
April 13, 2014

Met by Andrew on arrival with a warm and welcoming introduction. Club House presented in immaculate condition and directions around the changing rooms, bar and facilities clearly explained, again by Andrew. Bar staff welcoming and friendly. Served quickly and efficiently. Golf equipment of superior quality and politely informed of local course etiquette (gorse etc.) Speed of play excellent and even though a quiet day, able to move at a quick pace. Course layout and condition of excellent quality and remarked up on by all players. Greens a joy to putt on. Broadstone should be congratulated on making 6 seasoned golfers very pleasantly surprised and providing an exceptional golfing experience all round. Well done!
December 08, 2013

A very interesting course and challenging enough for all standards of ability. Very impressive greens which were very quick. A somewhat hilly course but with wonderful views of the surrounding area. The staff were welcoming and the clubhouse and facilities were of a very high standard. This was our first visit to this course but we all would love to play it again now that we know our way round and would expect to improve our scores somewhat next time we play. Thank you all at Broadstone for presenting such a wonderful golf experience.
July 28, 2013

I played Broadstone last week after hearing rave reviews about it...I was not disappointed!! What a great track!! The layout of the course is one of the best I have played and the greens are superb. It's a real test of golf for all levels and in my opinion is comfortably the best venue in Dorset. We were made to feel very welcome by the staff and are looking forward to returning asap. AWESOME!
July 04, 2013

After all the improvements to this course over the years I now think this course is the best in the area. I even enjoyed the 18th which some people do moan about. And why do some golfers think the first is a weak hole , it's a great hole. Played a couple of times in the summer of 2011 and the greens got a bit scary when you were above the hole, very fast. Keep it up Broadstone.
March 04, 2012

From my summer trip to Dorset I would have to say I found this to be the best course in the group I played in Dorset, though not necessarily my favourite – Parkstone and Isle of Purbeck would have to do battle for that title. Broadstone is set in idyllic surroundings and starts with Broadstone Golf Course - Photo by reviewera welcoming par 5 that allows for a good start to be made, without having to hit career shots, on flat land where only the stream has to be avoided. A sight of deer on the second tee told me I was in for a natura golfing treat. The condition was excellent throughout with plenty of options in how to play each hole including a driveable par 4 in the shape of the sub-300 yard 5th. From that point I found the course ratchets up the difficulty level, as the land becomes more severely sloped, asking much of anyone’s game. The challenge is also to concentrate on the golf and not become entranced by the beauty of the course and its sympathetic integration into the countryside. The par 3s are all excellent and works of art in their own right. The back nine is very strong and offers some teeing ground views that will surely lift the soul of any golfer. A must visit if in Dorset.
November 14, 2011