Broadstone - Dorset - England

Wentworth Drive,
Broadstone,
Dorset,
BH18 8DQ,

Originally known as the Dorset Golf Club, Lord Wimborne founded Broadstone in 1898 and Tom Dunn designed the course. “Broadstone is, I think, rather an easy course to remember,” wrote Bernard Darwin, in his 1910 book, The Golf Courses of the British Isles, “which is the same as saying that the holes have each got very definite characters of their own; at any rate, although I have seen them but once, I can play them all quite clearly in my mind’s eye, save only the park holes, which, truth to tell, are not much worth remembering.” Harry Colt was later commissioned to redesign Broadstone, utilising a glorious tract of heathland to the west of the railway line to build seven new holes. Thus, Broadstone became a quintessential heathland course and little has changed since.

Broadstone Golf Club - 8th holeThe course is laid out on glorious rolling terrain. The elevated homeward nine provides panoramic views of the Purbeck Hills and Poole Harbour. Measuring 6,315 yards from the back tees and 5,467 yards from the forward tees, Broadstone is not a championship layout. Having said this, a number of important amateur tournaments have been held here, testing some of the very best golfers. And although Broadstone cannot offer length from the tee, it can offer beauty, with profusion of heather, gorse, birch and pines.

In many ways, Broadstone is a shorter, cross between Sunningdale and Walton Heath, undoubtedly Broadstone is an outstanding heathland course and worthy of inclusion on any serious golfing itinerary.

“I feel entirely at peace with Broadstone,” wrote Darwin, “which has some really fine holes, and is as pleasant a spot to play golf in­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­—as breezy, and pretty, and quiet—as anyone could desire.”­­­­­­­­­­

Reviews for Broadstone

Description: Broadstone Golf Club is laid out on glorious rolling terrain. The elevated homeward nine provides panoramic views of the Purbeck Hills and Poole Harbour. Rating: 8.1 out of 10 Reviews: 43
Paul Barron
Check out the ‘Tyning’ policy at Boadstone golf course!Myself and three colleagues were on tour in the Bournemouth area and were looking forward to playing the number one ranked course in Dorset. On our arrival the pro offered some advice on marker posts and told us there was no temporary greens in operation and “enjoy your day boys”. When we got to our approach shot to the first green we saw one of the green staff hollow tyning the green, he kindly allowed us to putt out through the soil cores and sand. You can imagine how we felt when he told us that there were a further 10 greens that had been hollow tyned and a temporary green to negotiate. I can wax lyrical about this Dunn/Colt design with some memorable holes all day, but all of us struggled to come to terms with our line and pace once on the greens.After our round I found that the general manger, assistant and head pro had gone home and could only speak to two assistant pros about my complaint and to their credit they immediately apologised. Unable to talk to the general manager Ed Richardson or the head pro, I left them both the question below to prepare to answer on my expected phone call.“Why weren’t we informed about this scheduled maintenance program when booking and during our conversation with the pro upon arrival “?When I rang up, Tracy who had been made aware of the situation offered her sympathy and apology and immediately asked if we would like to return within the year to play the course again for free “in all its glory”. I explained that it was a nice offer but myself and playing partners were from Cambridgeshire and it would be too expensive to return and our next tour was going to be in Northumberland. She asked us what we would we like to happen and I replied that a £10 refund for each player would be an acceptable goodwill gesture. She said that seemed fair but would ring me back after consulting with the manager.The reply via a somewhat crestfallen Tracy (shame the manager couldn’t ring me himself) was that Broadstone’s policy was no refunds and because we had used the county card and paid £55.00 (??!!) we can come and play again within the year for £36 each! All of a sudden the ‘free’ round was off the table. Our course in Cambridge are undergoing a hollow tyning in August and the green fees will be reduced by 50% for all fee paying players, whether county card holders or not. It would seem that the reputation/integrity of the club have been compromised for the sake of a nominal refund. We wish we had Gone to Ferndown or Parkstone.P Barron21/7/15
July 25, 2015

July 27, 2015
Apologies that you felt our tining policy was not as generous as you would like. Firstly, it was our mistake to not have informed you of the possibility of one temporary green and apologies for this. It was for this reason that we apologised and we offered the return visit at members guest rate, I believe the 'free round offer' is a misunderstanding from you, this would not have been offered. All clubs have their own policy in this area and as were just pencil tining, a less disruptive procedure than hollow tining, we reduced our green fee by over 30%, from £80 to £55 for all visiting golfers that week. This still represents excellent value for a top course in July, even if the appearance of the greens was not perfect due to essential work. The offer of the members guest rate return still stands and we hope that you take advantage of this when next in the area. Thank you for your feedback.
Jeff M
This was our first visit to Broadstone GC as a society and what a super day it turned out to be. The course was in excellent condition for the time of year and especially so considering the overnight rain. We all thought that the course was outstanding. Whenever you walked off of one green to the next tee you imagined that the next hole was going to be perhaps a bit ‘ordinary’ after the last one but not at all. Great golf holes just kept on coming !!! We will definitely be returning next year.
April 29, 2015

July 27, 2015
Thank you very much for your kind positive feedback, look forward to welcoming you back next year. Ed Richardson, General Manager
MarkBrabs
Big course and a big welcome. The unassuming drive into the course does not prepare you for what awaits. A well appointed modern clubhouse with excellent facilities and great views across the opening and closing holes. Excellent practice facilities adjacent to the clubhouse. Driving range, chipping green, putting green. A warm welcome from the professional and all staff whether catering or bar making the visitor feel as though their patronage is valued and a genuine sense that they all know what you are about to experience on the course. There is an excellent half way house where food can be preordered from the seventh tee by intercom so it's ready when you complete the hole. A nice touch and tasty bacon sandwich. In the clubhouse I can heartily recommend the club sandwich but ensure this is partaken after the round as you may not want to go out if eaten before. Friendly members complete the welcome and are always keen to hear of your experience and provide a knowing smile when you can't help but enthuse about their course. Then there is the experience. Each hole has it's own character but all fit into the whole. A very strategic course where a drive into the correct position gives the best approach to large undulating greens. The bunkering is spectacular with the Colt signature heather adorning most of the traps. You must bring your “A” game to score well but the course is still enjoyable if not quite on form. Punishments are strict but not penal. You may not like the lie you've found with an errant shot but in general you will have a shot. The one part of your game that must be on song is the putting. The greens are fast and undulating and a deft touch is required to avoid the three putt. Ensure you are confidant from 4 feet because these are generally the tap-in lengths. The course is laid out on a vast expanse of natural heathland and makes you feel part of something bigger. Millionaire golf? Yes in feeling but not in price. A must play on any visit to the area.
April 29, 2015

July 27, 2015
Thank you for your detailed feedback and I would heartily endorse your Club Sandwich recommendation! Really glad you enjoyed your visit. Ed Richardson, General Manager
Steve Searle
I have been visiting Broadstone on and off over the past 10 years and recently on a regular basis as the guest of a member. Once again when I played in August 2014 the greens were a delight. They were firm, ran true and had a good pace to them. I think it would be fair to say the course continues to develop nicely with some good changes to its layout. The 5th hole has been made much better with the tee being moved over to the left creating a more challenging tee shot. The bunkering too has been altered and overall it is a better golf hole. I also like the fact that a lot of the trees that lined some of the holes have been dramatically ‘thinned out’. This has resulted in some wonderful views across the course being opened up. This is no better demonstrated than down the left-side of the 4th where a splendid vista of the 7th has been created. The sight of the heather in the distance along with the rolling terrain is worth the green fee alone. Well done to the club for undertaking this very labour intensive task as the results are undoubtedly worth it.

Broadstone, in my opinion has the potential to advance itself quite dramatically up the rankings, however, it must be careful. I say that as some of the fairways were not at their best. I think it is to be applauded that the club wants to develop and amend holes or alter bunkers back to the original design. But, it must not lose sight of the condition to one of its core components. In their defence my host tells me that the club is only too aware of this and plans are in order to iron out the issue so I’m sure they will rectify this is due course.

On a positive note, all of the par 3’s at Broadstone are worthy of special mention - they are wonderful holes. It’s difficult to pick out a favourite but at a push I’d say mine is the 6th. The bunkers all seem to be placed perfectly and the green is none too deep. You need to hit a high mid-iron to hold this particular green, which is framed beautifully by trees as you stand on the tee. If you don’t end up on the green, getting up and down is tricky to say the least.

The remainder of the course continues to throw other superb golf holes at you. The 7th is a delight; especially the second shot which is pretty much all or nothing over a massive cross-bunker and expanse of purple heather. The 13th hole is another strong par 4 with a wide landing area for the drive. The approach to this heavily sloping green is particularly challenging. Make a birdie or par here and you can feel particularly pleased with yourself. Other good par 4’s can be found at the 2nd with its very tricky approach. Invariably your approach shot is from an uphill lie to a two-tier green sitting above you. Land short and the ball dies! Go long and there are bushes none too far from the back edge of the green. A testing hole to say the least! The 15th is another lovely hole. Its not too long but the view from the tee is splendid and the second shot to a green that sits out of view behind numerous cross-bunkers has to be well judged to finish close.

I always enjoy playing at Broadstone as it offers a wonderful variety of holes with superb views. Perhaps its only negative is the lack of a good par 5 on the back nine but that is being ultra critical. I’ve given Broadstone a 5-ball marking as I’m sure they will continue to take the course forward. Where there are problems, I know they’ll address them without delay. It is a course I always enjoy playing and on this occasion it was no different. Steve Searle
August 25, 2014

David Morgan
September 01, 2014
Steve, thank you very much for your very fair and balanced review of Broadstone, we are delighted that you enjoyed playing our course. The Club is taking some very positive steps to continue to improve the overall condition of the course. Our investment policy is very strong and will see the club place a lot of emphasis on further improving the playability and quality of all the surfaces over the next 2-3 years. We look forward to welcoming you back again sometime.
Matthew Craze
I played Broadstone on a drizzly overcast Sunday afternoon with my brother. Even after having recently played Pebble, Spyglass and Olympic in California I can succinctly recall more than half of the holes on this beautiful heathland course. From the carry over the heather on the first tee, the lake in front of the third green to the carry over the giant bunker and heather on the 7, I loved it! I can safely say its my favorite course on the South Coast. The greens and fairways were impeccable.
August 07, 2014

Andy
Dorset now has five courses in England’s Top 100 making it a must visit county, especially around the Bournemouth/Poole area. These top 5 will have various positions depending on preference but most will have Broadstone top of the pile – in fact the course is close to a 6-ball ranking for me, with just a small reason holding me back (will mention at the end). The 1st is a perfect starting hole – a short par-5 with a small stream to consider about 80 yards from the green and normally is perfect for setting a good standard of pace of play. Super short par-4’s at the 3rd and the 5th are great to play and then the 7th is still one of the best mid-length par-4’s in the south of England. The biggest tip for the tee shot on the 7th is aim further right than you think; the ground gathers right to left and will give an easier shot across the valley to the green. The par-3 8th is now better than ever, two reasons – a brand new half-way hut near the tee and new impressive bunkering short and right of the green. The last third of the course is very strong; the 13th and 14th are decent par-4’s and two pars are a great achievement, then the great looking par-15th; a short hole from the very top drawer. The 17th hole could be described as a little like the 3rd hole – but with such a gap between the holes, this is no problem at all. The closing hole needs a slight draw from the tee, leaving an approach to a fairly long green, don’t be too long though as there is a large bunker at the back of the green just waiting! Another great feature here is that, in my opinion the final green is in the optimum position; sandwiched between the clubhouse and the first tee – perfect. Closing note and the way the course may get my 6-ball opinion next time; currently there is not a par-5 on the back nine – it looks like there is enough land to extend either the 13th or the 16th holes – worth considering I think...
July 26, 2014

Niall Rowton
A small group of us booked in recently to play the 3 Top Dorset courses we had heard so much about, Ferndown Parkstone and Broadstone. All 3 courses where of a very high standard and in excellent condition. We played Ferndown and Parkstone first and all of our group agreed they were great venues and we had chosen our golfing trip well then we bumped into Broadstone golf club on the last day.......WOW what a golf course this is. From the second we arrived in the pro shop to the moment we left the club it was an exceptional experience. The head professional made a point of speaking to each of us about the course and was even their to see us off the 18th green at the end and as for the course it was truly exceptional. Each hole is very different and if there is 4 better par 3's on a course I am yet to play them. It is a tough course so be sure to take a few spare balls out with you. There seems to be a local rivalry among the course we noted particularly between Parkstone and Broadstone and as much as we agreed Parkstone was a nice venue the rivalry seems a little strange as Broadstone is quite clearly a superior golf course in every way. It's going straight into my top 5 and can't wait to have another go at it.
July 16, 2014

Eddie Maylor
The course has been having trouble with the weather this winter and the 18th is closed (so they have replaced it with a 106 yard par 3). The club reduced our fee by £15. The pro came to the first tee to chat to us and advise us how to play the course, he drove round in a buggy to check how we were getting on (how many pros take the time to do this with visitors?) The course is a very good layout, although the stroke one 7th is a bit silly with a blind tee shot and blind second shot. The back nine is the better half as everything is laid out in front of you. The greens were fast and you had to keep the ball under the hole, as some putts could roll off the green. The views from the clubhouse are good looking down the 1st and 18th. I certainly plan to return and use the knowledge from the first round to improve my score; local knowledge is key to making a score round here. Finally you need to be aware that there are a few hills to walk up and down, so you may need a buggy (they have a mind of their own and will tell you off if you do something wrong!)
May 17, 2014

Nicholas Kjelgaard
We have been threatening to play here for a number of years as a friend is a member and while he keeps inviting us for some reason it just never came together. The course is lovely heathland course with 5, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14, 16 and 17 standing out. We were fortunate that the member and my father both had a bad back so they caddied for us gave some hints and tips. On the 17th they have discovered and old tee right on top of the hill which we went up and had a look from and it looks fantastic. I am hoping to play there again later this year.
April 13, 2014

Pete
Met by Andrew on arrival with a warm and welcoming introduction. Club House presented in immaculate condition and directions around the changing rooms, bar and facilities clearly explained, again by Andrew. Bar staff welcoming and friendly. Served quickly and efficiently. Golf equipment of superior quality and politely informed of local course etiquette (gorse etc.) Speed of play excellent and even though a quiet day, able to move at a quick pace. Course layout and condition of excellent quality and remarked up on by all players. Greens a joy to putt on. Broadstone should be congratulated on making 6 seasoned golfers very pleasantly surprised and providing an exceptional golfing experience all round. Well done!
December 08, 2013