Staffordshire Golf Club started out with a 9-hole course which was designed by Jack Morris, the Hoylake professional, on Stafford Common in 1891. Three years later, some of the members broke away to create another course after leasing land from the Earl of Lichfield on a corner of Cannock Chase at Milford.
By 1897, the original club had folded and many of its members switched to the newer “Cannock Chase” golf club. A thatched clubhouse was brought into use and its opening was marked by a 36-hole match play tie between J.H. Taylor and the leading amateur John Ball.
The clubhouse was burned down in 1922, precipitating the club’s move to nearby Brocton Hall, which was secured for £5,550. The club was then renamed as The Brocton Hall Golf Club. Harry Vardon set out the new course before returning to play an exhibition match against Ted Ray at the official opening on 12th July 1923.
In a century of play since then, not a lot has changed. Greens were replaced during the 1980s and water features were extended in the early 1990s, with the Mill Pool next to the 17th fairway restored to its former glory. New trees have been planted over time to replace older ones, especially elms, which were in need of removal.
In 2018, the lake to the left of the par three 9th hole was redefined by removing overgrown vegetation then edging the water hazard with railway sleepers and a new walkway. Aesthetically, the clean lines of the hole are a lot more attractive and play is speeded up as there’s no time spent looking for mishit tee shots since the lakeside foliage was removed.