Burlington lies at the heart of the “Golden Horseshoe” district, between the north shore of Lake Ontario and the Niagara Escarpment, and it was here, on a pleasantly undulating tract of land overlooking Hamilton Bay, that the golf club was established in 1922.
Stanley Thompson was at the peak of his architectural powers at that time and he was approached to design an 18-hole layout for the members of Burlington Golf & Country Club. Scotsman Andy Anderson, the club’s professional, supervised the construction process and an initial nine holes opened for play in 1923 with the remaining nine following a year later.
The hole configuration at Burlington is somewhat lop-sided with three par fives on the outward half contrubuting to a par of 37 whilst the par of 34 for the back nine is largely due to that circuit containing only one long hole and three par threes, the last of which is played as the 188-yard 18th by the edge of the lake.
The club expanded its operation to include a curling facility in 1957 and, as numbers increased dramatically to over a thousand during the next half century, members decided to build a bigger, traditional-style clubhouse to accommodate everyone and this was completed in 2008.