Byron Bay Golf Club lies close to Cape Byron Lighthouse, the most easterly point in Australia, with golfers enjoying ocean views from several holes. The club dates back to 1957, when a dairy farm on Broken Head Road was chosen as the site for an initial 9-hole course. The property was ideal as was nicely contoured, had income flows from a quarry and leased acreage, along with a farmhouse that had potential as a clubhouse.
Tasks of removing old fences, barbed wire, logs and stones began. Members with carpentry skills started work on the old farmhouse. By 20th April 1958, all was ready and the official opening took place with 100 golfers participating in a 27-hole event. The Associate lady members, despite a tiny kitchen space, did all the catering, providing an impressive morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea for the male participants.
As the years passed, permanent greens were established, trees were planted, and a new clubhouse opened on 18th January 1975. With voluntary labour and local support, five more holes were added in 1980 then holes 15 to 18 soon after, with the official opening of the new 18-hole layout taking place on 6th March 1983. The layout has since been developed to add dams, new tees, remodelled greens and an expanded clubhouse.