Review for California Golf Club of San Francisco

Was fortunate enough to play Cal Club in March 2022. What an unbelievable experience.

The course is everything I love in a setup.

A lack of thick rough means you can spray the ball about a bit off the tee without worrying too much about lost balls but often then leave yourself a less than ideal angle for your approach shot.

The greens are firm, which again means finding fairways is crucial if you want to get the ball close with your approach shots.

I love this sort of setup as it is challenging to the low handicapper whilst also providing some respite to the higher handicapper.

Give me this sort of golf over penal setups any day of the week.

Though I’ve never played Augusta National, I was fortunate to visit in 2016 for the tournament. The back 9 in particular really reminded me of Augusta with the sweeping views over a massive property. And the par 3 16th was uncannily similar to 12 without the water!

Can’t finish the review without mentioning the clubhouse and the members. Without doubt one of the coolest hangs in golf. The members were friendly and good fun and the clubhouse itself had a really special atmosphere to it. I was fortunate enough to play Secession a few years ago and this very much reminded me of the vibe I got there.

All in all an absolutely wonderful day and experience and I hope I get the chance to return some day

Date: March 14, 2022