Review for Camberley Heath

I spent many happy years in my twenties as a member of Camberley Heath, so I feel I am well placed to make a fair assessment of the course. This is a Harry Colt heathland gem, carved out through mature pine and heather. Aside from the monster 500 yard Par 4 5th, it’s a short course allowing good scoring for plotters and those who can shape a ball from the tee. The majority of the danger across the course can be found on the left, well positioned bunkers give the course some teeth and I have to concur with an earlier review in that although there is plenty of heather, it isn’t gnarly and you can often get a shot away. This is not a course you would expect to lose many balls at.

The condition of Camberley is always good and the greens are very impressive. It’s a well looked after course and not overly manicured. There are a variety of short and medium Par 4’s, tight and strategic Par 5s and as you would come to expect with Harry Colt courses, excellent Par 3’s, none more so than the downhill 213 yard 8th with the tee shot played over three front bunkers. A cracking hole.

Other good holes are the beautiful Par 3 2nd hole. A tougher green in Surrey I struggle to think of and two putts here if you have missed the right portion of the green is an incredible result. They can be a real devil with the pin position. The Par 5 9th with heather down the left, requiring a tee shot forced toward bunkers on the right and the Par 4 10th, with a left to right sloped fairway and then an uphill approach shot, a very tough hole indeed. I am also a huge fan of the opening hole. It’s a gentle opener, but with a downhill tee shot onto a fairway doglegging right around a copse of trees, it’s a very pretty opener that whets the appetite.

Camberley has a few average holes in my opinion which means it’s current ranking in the 2019 edition is about right for me. In the past I would have argued that it could sit a little higher, if not for the absolute eyesore that now resides on the 18th hole. In the past couple of years the club sold off land to developers for a block of flats, which I can only hope they are reinvesting into the club as the members deserve it now!

Overall this is lovely pretty members course that should be sought out if in the area.

For all photos of reviews, please follow Chris’ Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/top.100.golf/

Date: September 30, 2020