Review for Cannes-Mougins

How can Cannes-Mougins golf country club only be rated 11th in South East France? Having just come back from playing it, chronically out of season in early December, I would rate it as one of the very best courses it has been my pleasure to play anywhere in France and I have played a number.

This is first and foremost a members’ club and they pay big money to belong. As well as owning the club its 500 members expect top quality, which is why the fairways are immaculate, the bunkers are all raked, the greens are firm and true and the backdrop of forest and Cannes-Mougins Golf Course - Photo supplied by reviewer, courtesy of the club mountains is glorious.

The old stone clubhouse is also a delight although the delight does not come cheaply with an early morning Bloody Mary for my friend and I who had enjoyed rather a late night before we played setting me back €22.

Unlike some courses in the region there is a naturally seamless flow to Cannes-Mougins, with no long walks or buggy rides from green to the next tee box, and generally well marked, clear signage although do beware when walking off seven as we did and going to the tee-box behind the green. We found ourselves teeing off on 17!

Things start gently, easing us into the round and giving us time to relax and get loose before the more severe challenges are put in front of us. This is a long course off the back white tees of nearly 6,900, which is why it regularly played host to the Cannes Open, and why we went off the men’s yellow tees which reduces it to closer to 6,300 yards.

What I particularly liked was that the shorter par four holes all present different challenges. The par four fourth is only 356 yards and the tee shot takes us down hill before swinging steeply left and uphill to a Cannes-Mougins Golf Course - Photo supplied by reviewer, courtesy of the club large raised green with a tricky little bunker on the right hand corner of it. We must play our drive right to open up the hole but we then have to fly the ball over the trap to get close to the flag.

It is subtle nuances like this that make Cannes-Mougins a thinking property as well as giving big hitters the chance to open their shoulders on the four par fives to get a chance of getting on in two.

My personal favourite was the par four, 367-yard, dog-leg 12th which gives us an opportunity to cut off the corner by taking on the trees to get closer to the green which is protected by a stream.

A decent lofted club will give us a chance to stay on the green that has a steep drop at the back. In the glorious light, and one can see why so many artists come to the Cote d’Azur, we loved watching our balls soar in the blue skies all against a back drop of the Alps and the fresh smell of the forest.

The course is scrupulously fair with no savage quirks or hidden perils and walking up 18 in front of the handsome old clubhouse looking forward to a cold beer was a real treat.

Cannes is an expensive resort as is much of this part of France, but if you only play one course when you are staying in Cannes, just a few miles south, then make sure you book a tee-time at Cannes- Mougins. It is, quite simply, first class.

Date: December 15, 2017