Cape Kidnappers - North Island - New Zealand

448 Clifton Road,
Te Awanga,
Hawke's Bay,
New Zealand

The longest drive at Cape Kidnappers is between the public road and the clubhouse. It takes a full 20 minutes to cover the ground from the gate to the golf clubhouse – a journey that takes your through a sheep and cattle station and bush land. This degree of seclusion means that the golf course is on pristine land, wedged between the station and the towering cliffs of the Cape. The back nine extends along several fingers of land, separated by deep gullies which dip down to the sea. Frome these points you can look beyond the cliffs and along the shoreline across the wine country of Hawkes Bay and, at the other end, the art deco township of Napier.

The owner and architect, in recognition of the nature of the land have deliberately retained a rugged feel to the course and its surrounds. There is no superfluity. The tees are marked with simple wooden pegs. The clubhouse, though luxurious within, is compact and roofed in the local style with corrugated metal.

The scale of the landscape and generosity of land utilised for the layout makes the fairways seem small by comparison. This is a visual distortion that must be dispelled in the golfer’s mind, as you need plenty of confidence to hit out at the targets here at Cape Kidnappers.

If you can keep your eyes off the cliff top views, the main golfing points of the course are the bunkers and the greens. Architect, Tom Doak, is at the vanguard of the mission to recover some of the penalty value of bunkers. His time spent studying the works of the great architects of the early part of the 20th century has given him a healthy disdain for trees and water as hazards and led him to concentrate his efforts on land shapes and greenside bunkering.

In an industry noted for its gigantic egos and questionable sense of taste, Tom Doak is a distinctively different and intelligent course architect. At Cape Kidnappers, he has created a course of great drama, interest, originality and beauty. Any avid collector of golfing experiences should reach into their pocket books and make the trip to the North Island to play this course. It is both beautiful and compelling.

The above passage is an extract from The Finest Golf Courses of Asia and Australasia by James Spence. Reproduced with kind permission.

Reviews for Cape Kidnappers

Description: The longest drive at Cape Kidnappers is between the public road and the clubhouse. But once on the course, if you can keep your eyes off the cliff top views, the main golfing points are the bunkers and the greens. Rating: 8.7 out of 10 Reviews: 23
Mark White

I played Cape Kidnappers in February 2019 and was able to play it twice the same day. I experienced all sorts of weather in the two rounds.

I read some of the other reviews and I understand some of the criticism as a resort course with a very different front nine to the back nine. I can understand some of it but I do think Cape Kidnappers is worthy of being discussed as a top 100 golf course in the world. It is not in my top 100 but that does not mean it does not belong in the discussion.

Given the land at the end of the long drive, I think Tom Doak did an excellent routing through his use of the various canyons and cliff side plateaus. The views towards the middle through 16th tee can be distracting and I normally do not consider views to be part of a golf course, however, here they must be considered as they are an integral part of the course.

I did not experience any slow play. We played the first round in a cart in 3 hours and the second round in 2.5 hours (second round was a twosome). That provided more than enough time to remember the course and think about its difficulties and strategy while even pausing for views on the second round.

The first is a straight forward par four of 440/390 with an interesting slightly elevated green that is well bunkered in front and you cannot miss left as you could end up out of bounds. That is a common theme on this golf course as there are green complexes that if the green is not hit, you must miss on one side or the ball will either end up lost or very far away with a blind recovery shot.

The second, a mid length par five was for me one of the weaker holes on the golf course, a gentle dogleg right.

The third, a par 3 of 215/155 over a chasm to a green with steep fall offs front and left I felt played too short from the 155 yards given the size of the green.

The fourth, a par 5 with a somewhat blind tee shot over a chasm I felt was pretty good the first round, but once I figured out for the second round where to hit the tee shot it felt a little less special. The green is elevated but as long as you stay left you avoid all of the trouble.

The fifth was the first really nice hole, a mid length par 4 with a green with a big fall off front left. We played it into a wind both rounds which made it play much longer. The play on this green is to miss long but not too long given the tilt of the green.

The sixth is the first par 3 of longer length, 225/190 over a chasm. Once again, the miss is to the right despite the bunker there and you cannot be short. A ball missed left is likely lost. This is a true risk-reward hole.

I liked the seventh, playing into a saddle and then down to a green that must be hit or missed left. Missed to the right and you have either a lost ball or a very long walk down a steep hill to find your ball with limited chance of recovery.

The eighth is a mid length par 3 of 182/172 that once again crosses a chasm. It is another risk/reward par 3.

I loved the strategy of the ninth hole, a par 4 of 403/385 asking you whether you wanted to try to hit a driver down the hill to leave a shorter shot or lay back and have a 140-160 yards shot into this green situated into the hillside with trees left and big dips fronting the green.

The tenth is a longer par 4 of 470/410 to a wide fairway but the first of three infinity greens. There is a nasty fall off and a nasty bunker to the left of this green. The bunker comes right to the edge of the green. It is a superbly designed hole.

The eleventh is a long par 3 of 225/200 over another chasm where the chasm comes right to the edge on the left side. Yet again another risk reward par 3 but somehow it feels different to the other two in both look and the way you decide to play it.

I could argue the twelfth is the best hole on the golf course with another wide fairway on this long par 4 of 460/430 yards to another infinity green that slopes right to left and front to back with a swale taking balls down to the back left. This is an enormous dip in the land front left of the green. This hole has an amazing view designed to distract you. It's about perfect for the land.

The thirteenth plays south and is a short par 3 of about 130 yards. It is well protected and allows you to catch your breath to a hole that funnels everything to the middle of the green.

The fourteenth hole is an excellent short par 4 over a chasm that will tempt the longer hitters but you can't go right or long. I think this hole favors a shorter hitter who does not try to take it on. There is a deep pot bunker in the fairway that must be avoided.

The fifteenth starts back to back par fives. In my first round the wind was not howling, well over 40 mph with gusts. I lost my tee shot to the right, I lost my dropped third shot to the right, and and I lost my next dropped shot to the right. On all three shots I aimed more and more to the left, even over the fence. When finally at the green my caddie walked just off the front of the green on the left front (facing the green) and threw a ball as high as he could straight up and it blew off the other side of the green and we did not find it such was the strength of the wind. On the next hole, the par 5 sixteenth, playing back the other way I lost my tee shot left despite aiming over the trees on the right. At that point with only two balls left, I dropped a ball and used my putter the rest of the way on sixteen. On the second round there was no wind and I made birdie and par.

As to the fifteenth is a very long par 5 of 650/551 and you must hit the fairway on both the tee shot and second shot. You cannot go long, left or right or it is a lost ball. The green is one of the flatter ones on the course and is the final infinity green. It is a strong hole if there is any wind.

The sixteenth plays from an elevated tee and once again the fairway must be hit as it is a lost ball either left or right after a long forced carry. There is a really good green at the end of this hole. The sixteenth tee has the best view of Hawk's Bay. It is magnificent.

The seventeenth is a long par 4 of 463/420. The tee shot is pretty easy to this slight dogleg right. There is an elevated well bunkered green. It is a very good hole.

The final hole is a long par 4 only from the back tee at 480 but a shorter par 4 from the blue tee at 390 hole. The green sits in a bowl like effect and is perhaps the most interesting looking green complex on the golf course. Some have criticized the green as rewarding poorly struck approach shots but I found it to be a lot of fun to watch what a ball would do. I found it to be a great finish.

I really liked Cape Kidnappers. Yes, it is a resort golf course but a very good one. The views obviously can be distracted. There is a good mixture of long and short holes, risk/reward holes and decision-making. The green complexes are all very different as the greens are placed on different types of terrain, whether raised or flat. The three infinity greens are amazing. Some might say three of the par 3's look similar but I felt they played differently and looked slightly different.

As I said, it is not in my top 100 of the 706 different golf courses I have played, but if someone were to have it on their list, I would not debate it too hard. Each hole is unique and must be thought through to play it well. And you will definitely have fun.

October 15, 2019

Peter Wood

I was fortunate enough to play Cape Kidnappers in 2003, well before the course opened. At that stage the bunkers had no sand, but the course was in pretty good shape, and made a huge impression…

I returned a year later for Tom Doak’s Renaissance Cup tournament, and joined in the merriment playing in some not so gentle ocean breezes on this most exacting course.

I keep going back…

The fun really begins when you first enter the front gates some 8 kms from the course itself. The driveway heads down a deep gully with just enough room for the road and the rocky creek beside it. From there the road heads steeply up into the heavily forested hills, and suddenly the outlook is dark and foreboding…

And then you emerge out in to the farmlands above, famously sited on fingers of land jutting out into the Pacific Ocean, and divided by a series of deep ravines.

The driveway bucks and rolls Cape Kidnappers Golf Course - Photo by reviewer as it goes down into and up out of those ravines as you make your way to the course proper.

You arrive to find that the clubhouse looks like a classy shearing shed - entirely appropriate given the site is a working sheep farm.

The course itself starts off by heading inland for a few holes. The first hole sets the scene - a bruising 402 metre par 4 dogleg with a deep gully in front of the green. Par here is a good score.

The next few holes are framed by some beautiful strategic bunkering, and have lovely sculpted greens with enough movement to get your attention without being silly. None of the holes are particularly tight of the tee, but if you do miss the fairway the longish fescue surrounds are not friendly. These are just quality golf holes in a lovely rural setting.

By hole 5 The Pacific Ocean is part of the backdrop, but hole 6 really grabs you by the throat!

A 206-metre par 3 over the deepest of ravines, it only needs the hint of the sea winds to make par nigh on impossible. It makes a spectacular picture though, and you will not forget the massive bridge that takes you across the ravine to the green- the first of a number at Cape Kidnappers. These bridges will stick in your memory banks as one of the lasting visions you will automatically remember as unique to this course.

Holes 7 & 8 head back away from the ocean playing through some wild territory beside the ravine, and are another two very entertaining golf holes, while 9 returns to the clubhouse. With a blind tee shot and an awkward second shot, I never really came to love the ninth hole, but as a whole the front nine is just quality golf, and great fun too!

Play that front nine in good form and good conditions and you would never want to leave- or maybe you would… the back nine beckons!

Peter Wood is the founder of The Travelling Golfer – click the link to read his full review.

April 23, 2019

Julian Pittam

I just can’t imagine how this could be ranked 44th in the world and here’s why. The front nine is a very average parkland layout. It lacks imagination or finess. Whilst the back nine is better it really doesn’t please the eye in any way. I don’t think a course should be ranked highly on the basis that it has some pretty views of the sea.

The greens are unreceptive and grainy which makes them very inconsistent. The 1st and 18th which define a course by its open and close are two fields in my view. If I was paying NZ$ 150 to play I would feel Ok but NZ$ 500+ is ridiculous for the standard.

Lastly, this is a public course and therefore attracts golfers that think a 5 to 6 hour round is normal.

February 10, 2019

Nick Metcalf

We missed out on Kauri Cliffs as the weather was horrendous when we were due to play so were delighted to make the long drive (from the entrance it's 15 mins to the clubhouse) to Cape Kidnappers on a sunny and relatively still day. It's always tough when you have such an amazing reputation, though had heard some negative comments before playing about condition of the course in light of the reputation and cost. I had also read how little famed architect Tom Doak had had to do to the land to create the course and felt after the first few holes that he perhaps should have done a little more. It didn't feel special, but perhaps in retrospect that was aligned to the immense expectation of greatness that images (mostly aerial) of the course create. But then we hit the back nine and it was made all the more enjoyable by no one around us wishing to spend the exorbitant amount of the green fees as we had the course almost entirely to ourselves. We certainly ambled and took in all the views we could which are undeniably incredible, as are some of the holes. The long, thin, Par 5 16th stood out in my book and a birdie at the 18th always makes you want to come back for more, but if I did, I would try and sneak two back nines and leave the front alone! Wonderful practice facilities as you would imagine and a perfectly suited clubhouse. Not somewhere you'll play everyday, but definitely worth than one off golfing treat.

January 15, 2019

Neil Rowe

A course of two halves, the front nine is inland and a rather ordinary rolling parklands affair but as you turn and head out to the coast its quite a different course. Its flat with little to no trees and some truly spectacular holes though it is hard to get the sense of the fingers of land you see on all images of this course. Is it the number two course in NZ? I say no, there are far more enjoyable courses in NZ and whilst it boasts a couple of the very best holes in NZ the rest of the course lets it down. It is very well presented although the greens are a little too fast for the wind conditions, we had balls blown off the green and even had to put allowing for the wind not the borrow. Glad I played it but wouldn't pay that kind of money toplay it again.

July 15, 2018

Glenn surridge

Fantastic place to play golf although hard to say it is value for money. The course is magnificent with some stunning views and scenery. Well worth a visit and am glad I played but there are other courses in NZ of equal standard for far less outlay. But can't really fault it

April 17, 2018

Guilhem

I have mixed feelings about this course. True, the setting is great and the views magnificent. This, together with the long private road after the entrance, the clubhouse, the facilities, the staff, make you feel you are at a special place. I had a great day of golf, and I certainly do not regret the experience nor the trip.

But come on, 2nd in New Zealand, before Kauri Cliffs or Jack’s Point ? 44th worldwide before courses such as (in totally different styles) Cruden Bay or Woodhall spa ? I strongly disagree. If you take out the setting, the lay out, in my humble opinion, is rather ordinary. I found 15, one of the holes where you get some of the nicest views, in itself uninteresting.

I have often wondered why a course like Old Head, in Ireland, which setting I find even more stunning than Cape Kidnappers, is not even in the World top 100, and in fact rather low in the British Isles ranking. Same question goes for Thracian Cliffs in Bulgaria, which I also would rank before Cape Kidnappers. These are courses I played a few years back, with less benchmarks and references. I imagined the weaker holes accounted for that.

But I do not find them any weaker than Cape Kidnappers. And even the greatest courses have some weak holes. Royal County Down is a top league course despite its less interesting back nine because of an out of this world front nine.

So what explains that difference of treatment ? An excessive hype around Tom Doak design ? I would be curious to hear your views.

March 30, 2018

Bruce
April 02, 2018

Likewise I had mixed feelings about Cape Kidnappers - and also about Jacks Point and Kauri Cliffs. All of these "Top NZ Courses" (throw Tara Iti and the Hills in there too) are NOT NZ courses. They are American courses in NZ and designed to bleed as much money from tourists as possible, whilst keeping NZ golfers away. If you are coming to NZ to play golf, sure - play and enjoy these, but also go to some proper NZ golf clubs, meet some kiwi golfers and enjoy the challenge of NZ style golf courses.

Regarding your comments around Britain and Ireland Course ratings - I have always felt the ratings on here are:

1. Biased towards Surrey courses

2. Biased against hotel/resort courses

dd_in_nl
April 04, 2018

Having just been to New Zealand last year to play all the mentioned courses as well as Cape Kidnappers in part I agree with some of your comments. It felt far less dramatic than what you see in all the photos of the fingers of land running into the Pacific. However, the brilliance of it and a large part of the reason for its high acclaim boil down to the beauty of the routing over a property that while spectacular is far from ideal golf land and this is exactly why it enjoys the rankings that it receives. Naturally rankings are subjective so opinions will vary greatly just as your does. However, the more you see the more you realize what fits your eye and what you really like. For me, Jack’ Point and Kauri Cliffs were 100% about the amazing views and worth going to see just for that. Most people will visit them and think they are among the best courses they have every seen but not realize that the golf course design and the routings on both leaves a lot to be desired. Neither of those are anywhere near my personal Top 100 for example. However, for another person they will be the greatest golf experience on the planet.

Old Head is another fitting into the above category indeed. The main critiques are usually surrounding the internal holes which are bland at best. Add this to the general opinion that few of the perimeter holes are of great architecture and when you complete the picture it falls short, not from a “take your breath away” perspective by any means but simply from a golf course architecture perspective and routing one. This is what makes the general consensus among many panelist feel that Cape Kidnappers would be far stronger hole for hole and with regards to the architect making the most of the property than Old Head for example. Again, it’s subjective and you and anyone else can feel totally different and still be right in terms of what suits your eye or what’s more fun for you.

@Bruce

Interesting comments, I might give you that there are some American parkland-like courses in NZ but Tara Iti is about as American as haggis. There are 40k + courses in the US and less than 10 links courses if we really stretch the definition. I’ve managed to play a few courses in the US over the years including most of the US top 100 for example and I can’t for the life of me think of anything even similar to Tara Iti. What am I missing? Would you consider the likes of Pacific Dunes, Sand Hills or Fryers Head typical American courses? What about Barnbougle and Capewickham?

I’d also be very curious to hear how you might defend the position of the Surrey bias. Outside of being full of Golden Age architecture by some of the great names in GCA it’s also an area that is largely built up with sand pockets that allow for the best possible playing conditions outside of the links courses in the UK and Ireland. Those are exactly the reasons the courses in Surry receive so much acclaim. What would you say should take their place and why?

As for hotel and resort courses, this is also simple to figure out. In many cases hotel and resort courses have been built for completely different reasons than other courses. The aim often has a push in the direction of creating open, easy and fun courses where golf was not the main intent or the main revenue driver, where maintenance is much less of a cost for example. Costs are often cut and courses can take on “dumbed down” versions of what might exist for a private members club or even at many high end public course. Again however, there may always be exceptions and there are plenty. What example could you offer that would back up your statement? I’d be very interested to hear that.

Bruce
April 14, 2018

Hi dd in nl.

I guess you are right. As there are 40k courses in USA there is no single style. However many aspects of Tara iti I've only seen in American courses before. It certainly doesn't remind me of UK links or anything else in NZ.

The Surrey bias is due to money. Very average routings like New Zealand are at 60 whilst courses like Northamptonshire county, Coxmoor dont make it at all.

Regarding resort courses. Ok I'm arguing against myself somewhat here I know but the back 9 at forest of Arden is possibly my favourite 9 holes in England. And I could play that 4 times for what my round at NZ or Woking cost.

BB
April 16, 2018

According to the 2015 “Golf around the World” study, by US organization National Golf Foundation, which was funded by the R&A: There are approx. 34K golf courses in the world, with around 16K of these in the US (I thought it was around 24K).

If you’ve enjoyed any of the World Top 100, then you’ve been teeing it up within the top 0.29% of all Golf Courses.

Not played Golf in NZ yet, so that’s all I’ve got to offer

Scarlett

Is it a parkland course if it's laid out along cliff tops without any park? Should there be a 'spare no cost' category to define routings such as this?

Can I come back and play again please?

It's all been said about the clearly spectacular nature of this golf course, so I shall not repeat hole specifics but will say the constant undulations are ever changing and the conditioning was superb (I was one of four players that day!). Everything about the course from arrival to departure was top class and I genuinely can't fault it. But and it's the only but I can think about for Cape Kidnappers, it just didn't blow me away like Barnbougle Dunes & Lost Farm do.

Still, brilliant golf on a brilliant sunny and mostly calm day and in a magnificent part of the world. Stay a few days in Napier and the region in general; you won't regret it.

January 08, 2018

guillaume pollet

Fairways and greens are perfect. Front nine with up and down hills. Back nine more flat. Greens well defended.

August 24, 2017

David Davis

New Zealand is a lot bigger than one might think. Our initial thought was to stay the night in Kerikeri and then drive down to Napier the next day. The distance didn’t seem too unreasonable for US standards, 8 hours, relaxed, so what, right? Well, in the end we decided to fly. Best. Decision. Ever. Taking domestic flights in New Zealand is super relaxed. Show up 15 Cape Kidnappers Golf Course - Photo by reviewer minutes before departure…no worries. The car rental company will have a tin can for you to leave your key in when they are closed. The gentleman at the check-in didn’t open up until 10 minutes before departure. That meant we had stressed for nothing arriving 12 minutes before departure. The problem with driving in NZ is that this relaxed attitude carries over to the roads and after 23 years of living in Europe, driving as slow as they do here is extremely stressful. Our experience with flying here was wonderful and entertaining as well. The one minus point was between Kerikeri and Napier my clubs decided not to make it.

Cape Kidnappers has long been hailed as the #1 course in New Zealand and when you finally get to play your clubs are off on a trip of their own. Luckily the club offers very high-end rentals and that was a very welcome surprise upon arrival. I have to say the course really surprised me in that I Cape Kidnappers Golf Course - Photo by reviewer had expected most of it to be spectacularly placed along the cliffs and while this was the case most of the time you don’t exactly realize it. It truly is the end of the planet and nearly everyone has seen the spectacular photos of the almost finger-like cliffs with fairways stretching out towards the sea. In fact, the front nine is excellent and enjoys a wonderful routing through very interesting rolling terrain but the cliffs and the sea are nowhere to be seen for much of it.

The par 4 5th hole has the most spectacular green complex on the front 9 and offers the first real sensation of where exactly we find ourselves. The par 3 6th hole plays from cliff top to cliff top and is a visually tough shot and depending on the wind can also be an even greater challenge ranging anywhere from 6 iron to driver from the back tees.

The back 9 is arguably the stronger and more spectacular of the two, though I have heard a difference of opinion here. One of my favorite holes – perhaps a bit cliché – was the long par 4 12th “infinity” which runs out to the end of the world, or so it seems. The infinity green is perched far atop one of the finger outcroppings and sits high above the cliffs and Hawkes Bay.

Cape Kidnappers Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

The very short par 3 13th may well be my favorite hole on the course and with that I start to see a pattern in my appreciation for Doak’s short holes. I think he has developed mastery in this area. On his best courses he seems to throw in some simply amazing and treacherous short 3’s and 4’s. Then I’m thinking along the lines of Tara Iti, Barbougle and Pacific Dunes. All having standout short holes.

This short par three plays only to 112 meters but beware as danger lurks around every corner. It plays from the end of one cliff top finger to another. As dramatic a landscape you may never find. It also has one of the most spectacular “catch” bunkers in the world that sits back left between the green and the abyss. It’s a scary bunker but believe me when I say that I ended up there is blessing from above, as missing anyplace else on the left is like falling off the edge of the planet.

Coming in Doak has routed this course at the highest level and finishes with a classic punch bowl green on the 18th. However, if he witnessed where my ball came to rest he would have had a heart attack and claimed the maintenance was slightly off. It did give us a good laugh though.

I don’t need to say this but a visit to Cape Kidnappers should be on every golf fanatics bucket list. It’s that good even if it’s no longer the number 1 course in New Zealand. Leave it to Doak to find a way to out do himself at what feels like the most remote location in the world for golf.

July 21, 2017