Review for Cape Kidnappers

We missed out on Kauri Cliffs as the weather was horrendous when we were due to play so were delighted to make the long drive (from the entrance it's 15 mins to the clubhouse) to Cape Kidnappers on a sunny and relatively still day. It's always tough when you have such an amazing reputation, though had heard some negative comments before playing about condition of the course in light of the reputation and cost. I had also read how little famed architect Tom Doak had had to do to the land to create the course and felt after the first few holes that he perhaps should have done a little more. It didn't feel special, but perhaps in retrospect that was aligned to the immense expectation of greatness that images (mostly aerial) of the course create. But then we hit the back nine and it was made all the more enjoyable by no one around us wishing to spend the exorbitant amount of the green fees as we had the course almost entirely to ourselves. We certainly ambled and took in all the views we could which are undeniably incredible, as are some of the holes. The long, thin, Par 5 16th stood out in my book and a birdie at the 18th always makes you want to come back for more, but if I did, I would try and sneak two back nines and leave the front alone! Wonderful practice facilities as you would imagine and a perfectly suited clubhouse. Not somewhere you'll play everyday, but definitely worth than one off golfing treat.

Date: January 15, 2019