Review for Cape Wickham

Played Cape Wickham in March 2018 as part of a golf trip in Australia and New Zealand. The golf is well worth the praise it received and its high ranking and was among my strong favorites.

The journey to get there is quite an experience in itself. You will probably fly from Melbourne with a 20 seater aircraft from Sharp Airlines that lands in Currie, King Island main town, a pleasant 45 min drive from the course that sits at the far north of the island. It is a gravel road in its last portion, with fantastic views upon arrival in the property on the big white lighthouse. There is just a temporary clubhouse yet with little facilities, and cabins to stay overnight that I did not get a chance to try.

The course itself is fantastic. For those with european references, I can only think of Thracian Cliffs and Old Head as courses with similar dramatic settings and fantastic cliffs and sea views, throughout the entire course. I will not go into a hole by hole description as the review below is quite accurate. Let me simply say that I found the design does justice to the setting : the holes are quite diverse and fun to play, overall rather short. The lay out is as far from in and out as you can possibly think and you will be faced with shots with the wind coming from all directions. The holes laid along the sea are stunning (1, 2, 3, 11, 12, 16, 17 and 18) but the other are also interesting and testing holes.

Add in a few wallabies wandering about greens or tee boxes (and, true, a few poisonous snakes in the high rough) and you get an absolutely memorable experience.

Well worth the trip to get there. I only added Cape Wikham as part of my trip at the last minute and I am so glad I did !

Date: March 28, 2018