Capital City County Club was established as Tallahassee Country Club in 1908, when a small, elementary course with sand greens was brought into play. By the end of the 1920s, a 9-hole layout was in use and the club appeared to be thriving but, in August of 1935, ownership of the course passed to the City of Tallahassee, allowing it to become a municipal facility. A. W. Tillinghast was then called in to expand the layout to a regulation 18-hole course.
All went well for the next twenty years, until the City felt unable to provide much needed funding for clubhouse improvements and so the property was leased back to Tallahassee Country Club in February 1956, with the club in turn assigning its lease to a newly formed Capital City Country Club. Additional land was acquired to build a new clubhouse and swimming pool soon after the new club took control, with tennis courts following in the early 1970s.
The course is set out in rolling terrain through stands of pine and oak trees with elevation changes not commonly found in the Sunshine state. Golfers have a relatively difficult start to the round, as three of the first four holes are demanding par fours, rated 1,3 and 5 on the stroke index. There’s a little respite to be found on the remainder of the front nine, before the outward half ends with an uphill par five at the 9th hole.
The signature hole arrives at the 386-yard 17th,
where the doglegged fairway falls down to a pond-protected putting surface.
Newly planted pine trees at the kink in the fairway and a rather narrow green
combine to make this one of the toughest par fours on the card. The round then
concludes with a long par five which favours approach shots from the left of
the fairway as a massive oak tree guards the right side of the home green.