Review for Capitol Hill (Judge)

I think the Robert Trent Jones golf trail fills a wonderful niche in the world of public golf. In general, these are well-maintained, exciting, and challenging courses that can be played at a reasonable price. The three courses at Capitol Hill are all very challenging and offer a lot of bang for the buck. The first course my wife and I played on our recent trip was the Judge. The tee shot on the first hole may be the most intimidating opening shot I have ever faced. The drive is off a sheer cliff down to a narrow landing area with a lake to the right and creeks to the left. Once you descend the cliff, the course continues around, through, and over the Alabama River and various tributaries. This is not for the faint of heart. There are numerous forced carries, and the greens are large and multi-tiered, allowing for a multitude of pin placements. Eventually, the course winds its way back to the base of the large ridge where the first tee was located. All in all, I don't think the course was quite as intimidating as it initially appeared. There was generally a decent amount of room to hit the tee ball, and the course was pretty well laid out for you. I liked the Judge and wouldn't mind playing it again. The course was a little tough for my wife, and I think a more forward set of tees would be helpful. 5000 yards is a little long for a senior women golfer, and I love the way Bandon Dunes has provided some up tees to help golfers of all levels and I think other golf destinations should consider following their example.

Date: April 28, 2022

Read all reviews about Capitol Hill (Judge)