Carlisle Golf Club was founded in 1908, though there are apparently records of golf having been played in the city thirty-two years before then. The club acquired its present site at Aglionby in 1936 and commissioned Charles Mackenzie, Alister MacKenzie's brother, to set out their new eighteen holes. Shortly after, this layout was modified by Theodore Moone, before Philip Mackenzie Ross then remodelled the course in 1944.
According to Frank Pennink's Choice of Golf Courses: "In 1938 the move to its present site was made. Designed by Theodore Moone, a well-known writer and golf architect and minor amendments in 1973 by Frank Pennink."
Measuring a modest overall length of 6,273 yards, this mature parkland layout is set out on gently undulating terrain, close to where the A69 joins the M6. Only three of the eleven par fours on the card play in excess of 400 yards from the back tees with the 289-yard 5th hole probably rated the best two-shot hole on the property. You’ll also find a fine set of par threes here at holes 2, 4, 13 and 17.
The club was honoured to have the R&A designate the course at an Open Regional Qualifying venue in recent years, beginning in 1996. The English Golf Union also thought highly enough of the course in 2010 when the club was asked to host the English Seniors Championship.
We played Carlisle in March this year on the way up to Scotland, it's ideally placed and we really enjoyed our round.
Excellent value, very friendly members, and some good fun golf over undulating ground and plenty of trees.
The last few holes are a little bit of a loop in a field so we cut them out to finally get in front of a slow match in front - can't comment on them !