Review for Carne (Kilmore)

I was so disappointed last time we were here in 2017 when they told me the Kilmore course was closed, but so happy this time (June 2019) when they told me it had opened and we could play it after our round at the Hackett course! Very generously the club also allowed us to play it without any extra fee.

It's a fantastically fun round, no2, 3, 7 and 9 especially are approaching almost fantasy video game golf. I don't think I've ever seen anything as amazing as the par 3 7th, with the tee towering above the maze-like fairway of the fifth hole on the left, and what seems like a monstrous carry to safety to a green nestled in the dunes. In reality a cleverly hidden fairway means you "only" need to carry it 100 meters or so, but anything left is utterly dead along the entire hole. It's both claustrophobic and wide open at the same time. You supposedly don't build golf holes like this anymore, and I keep asking myself "why not?".

During my visit there was talk at about putting the Hackett second 9 and this 9 together for a new 18 hole championship course in a few years time when the Kilmore course conditioning is up to speed, but I do agree with Ed in the previous review, keep this as a stand-alone 9.

Date: June 13, 2019

Read all reviews about Carne (Kilmore)