Review for Carnoustie (Championship)

Third visit to The Monster and my love for this course is even deeper, the truest test in Scotland together with Royal Dornoch, the best greens and the best mantained course (it was just one week before the Senior Open) and a design that will remain great and challenginf for ever, the course doesn't need to be touched, just mow the grass and let her show the teeth!

Carnoustie (Championship) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer

Again as it was a business trip, on Tuesday afternoon I drove from St Andrews and played it in some nice challenging conditions with rain a couple of times, wind and only sun in the last 3 holes. The day started with a nice lunch at the Carnoustie Golf Club with my good friend Colin McLeod who showed me every piece of history of the Club, which is always nice to learn about.

Then with almost no time to warm up and under the rain, directly to play with 3 very noisy canadians. A very rough start and some bad holes on the back 9 but overall a great round of golf on the fairest course you can play. And I had 3 weird situations on the last 3: there is a signal on 16th tee that Tom Watson made four bogeys on that hole when he won in 1975 and in my third visit it was my third par from the same tee! On 17th downwind my drive hit the concrete bridge on the right and ended 56yds from the pin (a 356yds driver!) and on 18th now with some sun I had to hit a 120yds full wedge from the rough to save a great bogey.

And after this and my comments to my friends, we decided to go back in 2017. That is what this course has, challenge and attraction to test your game to the limit.

The following day on sunny and tame conditions my customers played and I just walked the course but was able to take some nice pictures with the Claret Jug. I will be back and for sure love it even more!

Date: August 08, 2016

Read all reviews about Carnoustie (Championship)