Review for Carnoustie (Championship)

Carnoustie ranks alongside Portrush and Muirfield as one of the best tests of golf in the British Isles in my view. Every hole presents its own challenge and it’s possible to run up a big number on almost any of them, especially when the wind is up.

It is not the most picturesque course and for many it would be too difficult to consider enjoyable. Having said that, the last couple of times I have played it the rough has been relatively forgiving meaning less risk of lost balls than when I have played it in the past. It’s the other hazards, in particular the bunkers and the burn that make it particularly tricky. The fairway bunkers seem to be positioned in exactly the right spot to make you think and to catch only slightly wayward or miss-hit shots.

Given its difficulty it is not a course I would want to play every day but would relish playing a couple of times a year to really challenge myself. Definitely in the top 10 in my GB&I rankings. Play it and enjoy the experience, whatever you may score!

Date: June 19, 2021

Read all reviews about Carnoustie (Championship)