Review for Carnoustie (Championship)

When I visited Carnoustie I have to say it was probably the most enjoyable golfing experience of my life so far! Everything was excellent… apart from the wonderful Scottish weather, but that made brief periods of the round different and even more challenging! The first impression when you arrive is second to none. The huge hotel full of helpful friendly people. On my trip to Carnoustie this was a running theme. Everyone was so kind and helpful right from the starters, who seemed like they were not only being polite but wanted to get to know you better even without their job, to the friendly lady who not only gave me instructions of how to find my B&B but walked me there also! The Course itself was in excellent condition. However without the wind our whole fourball played very well. I am off 21 (which even I will admit is banditry!) but I shot a 15 over 85! However when the wind picks up or Scottish sunshine finishes its cameo appearance it was plain to see that the course would turn into “Carnastie!” I think one key to success was that I only went in one bunker on the the round on the long Par 3 16th on which I ended up with a 5! However if you can putt as the greens are flat birdies can be made! Carnoustie has to be the best course I have ever played as never has a course rewarded and punished so heavily! And if I were to offer some advice it would be to leave the big stick in the bag until the 18th and then have a crack just for the hell of it! Well worth the trip as some holes alone are worth the money!

Date: July 14, 2009

Read all reviews about Carnoustie (Championship)