Review for Carrick

I enjoyed the Carrick much more than I though I would having read the reviews here. I was on a corporate outing there and have to say I had a first class day. The place is completely set up for arriving there mid morning, having a light lunch, a practise, then your round, then getting showered and refreshed in top class facilities before a nice dinner and a few refreshments. On that front you would have to award the Carrick top marks. The pro shop staff were also excellent. The course is a slightly different matter. First of all Ill get the condition out of the way. It was pretty poor for mid May. Three fairways had been completely lost and indeed the par 5 5th was now a par 3 with a makeshift tee about 100yards from the green. I dont know how long this will take to repair but I cant imagine it will be anytime soon. The greens were very bumpy and it did dawn on me that non-links golf in May can be a hit or miss experience. The actual course archtecture however was superb. I really did enjoy the layout of pretty much every hole, with many of them being a complete visual treat. The sun came out for the back 9 and the last 5 holes were as good as any inland stretch that I have played. Its a pity that the condition wasnt too great but I dont really blame the management for this - I just think they are dealing with a pretty challenging climate for optimum course presentation.

Date: May 17, 2010