Casa de Campo (Teeth of the Dog) - Dominican Republic

La Romana,
Dominican Republic

• 50 miles SE of Las Americas International Airport

• Welcome - contact in advance

They say that Casa de Campo is the “Caribbean’s most complete resort” and frankly we couldn’t disagree. With three stunning Pete Dye designed courses, water sports, shooting, tennis and even polo – on horses as well as in the water – there’s more than enough going on here to keep everyone happy. But there’s one thing at Casa de Campo with a bark as well as a bite and that’s Dye’s Teeth of the Dog.

Over a period of two years, Pete Dye, his wife Alice (also an architect) and some 300 local helpers transformed, virtually by hand, an overgrown rocky wasteland, which is set alongside the coral coastline of the Dominican Republic, into one of the most exhilarating golf courses in the world. Teeth of the Dog opened for play in 1971 and, being modest, and not wishing to take all the credit, Dye quickly pointed out that the course was fashioned “by the ‘man upstairs’. I created eleven holes and God created seven!"

The seven holes, which the Almighty created, hug the shoreline and they are certainly inspiring and memorable. When the fickle breeze blows off the Caribbean Sea you will be guaranteed a challenge. After the renovation work in 2005, Teeth of the Dog now measures a whopping 7,350-yards from the tips, so you are well advised to select your tee box most carefully. “Now accepting challengers” as they say.

Reviews for Casa de Campo (Teeth of the Dog)

Description: There’s one golf course at Casa de Campo with a bark as well as a bite and it’s Pete Dye’s Teeth of the Dog. Rating: 8.4 out of 10 Reviews: 16
M. James Ward

Much has been written about Teeth of the Dog and while I concur with the comments of those citing the holes closest to the water there's the counterpoint with the inland holes while satisfactory are hardly electrifying. In many ways, Teeth of the Dog is a facsimile of what you find at Pebble Beach. Can overall greatness be attained when the totality of what is present is not consistently demonstrated for a far larger portion of the layout than the holes nearest to the water?

When the course first opened it clearly was miles beyond what else called itself golf at that time throughout the broader Caribbean region. Things have clearly changed and you can see firsthand the competition that exists in the DR today.

Is the layout still a legitimate top 100 in the world today? I have serious doubts because the depth of the elite courses has clearly intensified globally. The renovation of the layout in 2005 certainly updated the design but the simple fact is that you have a split personality between the two clearly distinct presentations.

Credit Pete Dye for the constant tinkering. For Pete the ongoing updating is no different than what Donald Ross did with Pinehurst #2. over the course of a lifetime.

John Sabino said it best about the holes adjoining the water. When you stand on the tee boxes you can literally feel the salt spray and shake when the water crashes violently against the rocks. The immersion -- no pun intended -- leaves a striking memory.

Unquestionably, Teeth of the Dog can bite big time when the winds are whipping around -- hardly out of the ordinary in the DR. The layout still has moments where you stare in disbelief at how Dye and the countless number of local people who carved the layout out of the area.

Dye's legacy will always include his work here and for the impetus it provided in other courses situated along various coastlines. Teeth of the Dog is certainly worth making plans to play, however, in the 21st century a visit to the DR has a far more robust golf connections than just this fine layout alone.

November 24, 2020

BB
November 24, 2020

If you were omnipotent and could switch the ocean to the inland holes, would they instantly become the better holes - or is it something else that accounts for the current difference in quality?

November 27, 2020

BB: Hardly omnipotent here ! The usage of the word "if" is a slippery slope discussion. I can only go with how things actually are. The reality is that Teeth of the Dog still resonates as a top tier layout. But, the depth of the competition since it first opened has clearly intensified. One can clearly name a host of courses that have major intersections with coastal locations.

The most notable being the impact a facility such as Bandon Dunes has caused. A cousin to the Oregon layout has been the ascension of Cabot Links and its sister layout Cliffs.

Teeth of the Dog has clear similarities with Pebble Beach. The inland holes at both are clearly a notch or two behind the superlative holes along the coast. For some the essence of both layouts is still good enough to merit the lofty praise each receives. I would rate Pebble ahead of Teeth because of the maddening nature of the smallish contoured targets you find at the California layout.

To answer your questions -- the proximity of land and water meeting has always been a boost for such courses having such an advantage. The issue for Teeth of the Dog is that the overall competition has risen noticeably and one need not travel far in the Dominican Republic with the big ticket ocean-based courses that have opened in the last 10-15 years as direct competitors to Dye's classic creation.

Esteban Camacho

I had the chance to play this course over the Christmas break of 2019 and I have to say that it was nothing short of spectacular. The hole variety and course conditions where quite good. Really enjoyed the views of the Caribbean ocean. I do have to say that I found the ocean at nearby Punta Espada prettier as it has a lighter blue color vs. this one which is darker and choppier. Overall, it was a great experience and took quite a few pictures that are now proudly displayed in my basement.

August 20, 2020

Bodunkov Alexey

fantastic golf course

March 07, 2020

Jeffrey

Birthday present from the wife didn't disappoint! I'm not a huge fan of Dye courses due to their difficulty, but the overall beauty of this course with its rocky coastline and waterfront holes made it a trip I'll never forget. The resort part leaves a little to be desired as does the island's service, but the course itself is fantastic.

March 06, 2020

David Davis

What a wonderful opportunity to be able to head to the Caribbean during the coldest months of the European winter. The trip to the Dominican Republic is not exactly a short one but arriving to 28 degrees Celsius from -2 deg in Amsterdam makes for an amazing start.

I’m guessing most visitors to the DR wisely arrange their transfers with the hotel or resort they are staying in. I would like to reiterate that I highly recommend this BUT I did not do that myself. I rented a car with Avis being a President’s Club member thinking; ok naturally I will receive decent service. Well, I survived to tell the tale but to give an idea of what you are dealing with this is very much a franchise operation. Casa de Campo (Teeth of the Dog) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer Upon arrival at the airport after a 12-hour trip with layover there was not a soul to be found at the Avis booth and it took a solid 30 minutes before anyone was located. I was picked up by an unmarked vehicle and taken down a dark road to a totally closed and dark industrial area and low and behold there was actually a small office there, though sketchy would be an understatement. Having signed my life away I was taken to my vehicle, which was quite dirty and run down for a full sized car and set loose. The GPS I ordered ended up being only useable with the mobile wifi they rented to me on top of the price of the GPS. My advice, if you are going to Casa de Campo which you absolutely should be, then arrange the transfer with them.

Arriving at the resort is a fantastic and refreshing experience compared to my experience after landing. Everyone there is absolutely wonderful and make you really feel like you are part of the family, golf being a central theme. I was fortunate to be taken under the wing of their Director of Golf, Mr. Robert Birtel. He reserved some time to take me out and show me how the locals master the fearsome Teeth of the Dog course from Pete Dye. The course will always have a special place in my heart, as it just happened to be my 99thcourse that I have played out of the World Top 100.

If Dye is great at one thing it’s instilling terror in the Casa de Campo (Teeth of the Dog) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer hearts of amateur golfers and Teeth of the Dog is well known to be a tough but fair test. While not easy the start would still be considered a challenging beginning. Dye often takes one side completely out of play and basically challenges the player not to go left or right. This theme couldn’t be more prevalent starting with the 2nd hole. The anticipation builds to the 4th hole which is a strong par 4 dogleg right that runs out to the ocean and provides the players first meeting with water – the 4th green being a stone’s throw away.

The 5thhole is a diabolical short par 3 that could be anything from a 9 iron down depending on the strength of the wind. Our conditions were quite mild but even so this par 3 plays to a raised green that sits on a small outcropping of land running into the ocean and it’s surrounded with bunkering, steep runoffs and water. Did I mention that it’s all carry from the tee? Basically you take a deep breath, commit to your shot and swing away. Truly exhilarating!

With blood pumping through your veins you head to the next tee to meet the following test. The 6th tee sits right against the ocean and requires a gutsy committed tee shot along the shore to set up a chance to reach this long par 4 in two. Dye has created a short dogleg back towards the sea on this hole.

The 7th is another jaw-dropper in this run of great shoreline holes. From the back tees it plays 229 yards and is mostly carry. Definitely another hole fitting into the theme of making the player commit to an exhilarating shot. In the wind this hole is just plain tough, but oh so beautiful with waves crashing all around. There is no doubt in my mind that many golfers have fed many a ProV1 to the sharks along this stretch and still came out loving the experience.

The 8th hole follows up with another cracker Casa de Campo (Teeth of the Dog) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer right along the shore. A very tight drive with a 3 wood or rescue will leave a short approach to tricky, well-guarded green.

The 9th hole is a long par 5 that takes you back to the clubhouse – a tough finisher to a solid front 9.

The back 9 runs counter clockwise in the opposite direct of this figure 8 or infinity shaped routing. 10 is a semi tight dogleg left requiring a very well positioned drive.

11 is a long par 5 again requiring well placed shots. In the right conditions this might be a hole that can be reached in two. We didn’t have those conditions for my game.

The 12thhole is a long tough par 4 that plays like a par 4 1/2 with a slight dogleg left. The 13th is our first really tough test on the back as well as our first 1 shotter. A mid to long iron is required to reach this raised green that sharply falls off on all sides. The tee shot feels like it’s all or nothing and from the tee there doesn’t seem to be an easy recovery shot in sight – typical Dye, getting into the head of the golfer.

14 is a tough par 4 requires a solid tee shot and leaves an approach over water to a green that is very shallow when played from the shortest route on the right side of the fairway.

Holes 15 through 17 bring us back to the ocean and again test our nerve while stimulating our viewing pleasure. On the front 9 a left miss was likely shark bate while on the back due to the direction of the routing missing right will find you a watery grave.

The 15th is a short par 4 with Casa de Campo (Teeth of the Dog) Golf Course - Photo by reviewer the tee box placed right up against the crashing waves. The shot requires a very well placed drive hitting its target. Anything on the fairway will be a huge relief. While a left miss is the dry option, too far left is also trouble and is protected by a large bunker and also trees that would likely require either a tough shot or perhaps a chip out. The approach is played back to a green that sits right up against the cliffs and water. It’s a great hole.

16 is the final par 3, 189 yards of carry over crashing waves from the back tees. A front bunker, cliffs and water protect the green. It’s a real test regardless of the wind conditions.

17 is a 417-yard par 4 playing right along the ocean. Imagine the iconic 18th at Pebble Beach, make it a par 4 running in the opposite direction and that’s kind of what you face, only its Dominican brother – an excellent and challenging hole.

The closing hole is another monster of a par 4. A long drive to the right side will avoid bunkers and rough and leave a long approach that is played uphill slightly to the final green. Arguably this hole, which plays over what once was a runway for the airport, provides a slightly anticlimactic finish after the spectacular stretch from 15 to 17 but it cannot be argued that this is an easy finish or a hole lacking in architectural merit.

Teeth of the Dog has been famous ever since it was built and has always enjoyed a solid position in the World Top 100 Golf Courses to my knowledge. It’s Pete Dye’s favorite of his designs and having played all of his best-ranked courses I would have to agree with that. It really ticks all the boxes and what’s not to love about sun, ocean and golf as a combination? Just add one of the world’s best golf resorts to the mix and really it’s impossible to go wrong with a trip to Casa de Campo. Enjoy your stay and report back.

June 22, 2018

Marcos Clutterbuck

I had heard so much about Teeth of the Dog that I made the trip from Punta Cana. I can see how the club might have dazzled in the 70s and 80s, but it does look a bit old now. The new driving range was very good. The course itself has 7 holes right on the water, 2 holes with nice views of the sea, and 9 inland holes. Yes, it has spectacular views and the 7 holes right on the Caribbean Sea get as close to the water as any course. The 3 par 3s on the water are tough little tests. For my taste though, the course is too tight, and relies to much on very small greens. The inland holes are average. The conditioning is not perfect, and the grass is spongy, as you can expect in the Caribbean. Pitches and chips are pretty unidemensional because of the soft playing surface. The bunkers on the ocean are lined with a concrete curb and twice I ended up against it. Completely unnatural and unfair. Having seen it once, I would not make the trip again from Punta Cana to play it.

November 02, 2017

Don Kramer

I have been coming here for 20 years and there is no other course I would rather play every day if I could than Teeth of the Dog. You know when you talk about if "I had to pick one course to play each and every day for the rest of my life?" This is the one I would choose for all around experience, charm and relaxation. Everyone talks about the 7 ocean holes, which is well deserved. However the other 11 are very challenging with their elevated greens and bunkering. It's hard to beat the views and Pete Dye built this course without tricking it up. The Teeth is fun, frustrating, beautiful, challenging and enjoyable all at the same time. I'll be going there hopefully every year for as long as I can. And one of those trips, I'll hopefully birdie that par 3, 5th. That's my favorite par 3 in the world, bar none. The green is as wide as a lane of traffic and surrounded by ocean on three sides and a bunker you can hardly take a back swing in. Wind is almost always behind you and right to left, so it's rarely more than a wedge or 9 iron. However the tree front right catches many shots from those wishing to avoid going for swim. A great experience with your best friends and the resident caddies.

October 31, 2017

John Sabino

Many holes in the world are right near or above the water. What makes Casa de Campo unique is that Pete Dye designed holes where you are right at sea level. At Pebble Beach or Turnberry for example, you are up above the water. As you stand on a couple of holes along the sea, water is crashing immediately behind you, to the side of you and ahead of you directly on the same level you are standing. I liked the seventh hole the best. It is a 188-yard par three with both the tee and green set in the water.

The course routing makes maximum use of the location; the first four are inland, five through eight are along the water. After playing along the water, holes 9-14 go back inland and are decent if not great holes. You again hug the ocean on holes 15 through 17 and 18 is an uphill hole away from the water. I would say that Dye has done a good job with an imaginative routing and some really great water holes. The course does have features typical of a Pete Dye design such as waste bunkers and elevated greens.

John Sabino is the author of How to Play the World’s Most Exclusive Golf Clubs

November 25, 2016

Dave Finn

I’ve been in the golf business for over 25 years now. Over that time I have enjoyed reading the many acclaims from my colleges and drooled over their breathtaking pictures of the Casa de Campo Resort. You see their “Teeth of the Dog” is consistently ranked as the best course in Latin America and has proudly been showcased in the Top 50 Golf Courses in the World by many publications since its inception over four decades ago. It has always been on my bucket list and this past spring I got a chance to live the dream. I was up bright and early in anticipation of finally getting to tame the famed “Teeth of the Dog”. There is an amazing full length practise facility along with the Jim McLean Golf School so make sure you warm up or take a lesson before tackling this beast. Before we headed out we were warmly greeted by Ian, our very knowledgeable and personable caddy who helped us immensely with our club selection and direction. The first two holes Casa de Campo (Teeth of the Dog) Golf Course - Photo by reviewerare inland so I got to ease my way into the game and get rid of the butterflies that were fluttering in my stomach. However once I got to the third and fourth holes the course starts to “wag her tail” as the crystal clear turquoise waters of the Caribbean Sea come into view. For the first time I had a clear vantage point to what is in store for me and the true reason why I always wanted to come here. For the next four holes I was in shear heaven as the “Dog” really shows off her teeth. Each hole perilously hugs the ironstone shoreline offering dramatic scenery and intimating shot making. Any of these holes could be signature holes anywhere else so make sure you have your camera ready. Holes 9 through 14 are all inland holes that are very well designed but somehow pale in comparison to the ocean. Dye was very generous with his fairways off the tee allowing you room to spray the ball. However your approach shots here are paramount as there are deep swales around all the greens will leave you with very tough up-and-downs. The greens are in perfect condition but very irregular in shape making them even more difficult to hit. Once I got to 15, 16 and 17 we were back along the ocean. Like a great buffet I gladly welcomed a second serving of the most delicious views you will find anywhere. Even though the topography is relatively flat the conditioning is pristine and boasts as being only course in the world to have seven holes directly on the ocean. As Pete Dye humbly said himself “I created eleven holes and God created seven!" To read more about golf in the Dominican Republic visit http://golftravelandleisure.com/category/mexico-carribean/dominican-republic-mexico-carribean/

November 04, 2015

Cédric
Overall, a disappointment. 52nd in the world? I don't think so...Not even nr.1 in the DR in my opinion. Punta Espada is head and shoulders above it. Yes the 7 costal holes are outstanding. But the 11 others are vastly average. Played 4 days ago and can't even recall half of these 11 holes. Corales in Punta Cana might even have the edge. The problem with courses in that part of the world is that non-costal holes always have to compete with costal holes. And that's easier done on the world class courses on the north sea than on the turquoise waters of the Caribbean sea! Cedric
March 08, 2014