Originally named Dene Golf Club when it opened shortly after the end of the First World War, the club was then given its new title of Castle Eden Golf Club in 1927. Members in the early days consisted almost exclusively of employees from the local brewery which had been instrumental in establishing the course.
The initial layout consisted of only six holes, set out by a Mr. O.L Rowantree. This course was later remodelled and extended to nine holes by Henry Cotton, who returned again to add another nine holes, one of which included the club’s “signature” par three 17th.
Today, this tree-lined track measures 6,257 from the back tees, playing to a par of 70, with only two par fives on the card, both of which appear on the back nine at the 10th and 14th. The opening three par four holes offer a tough start, playing on parallel fairways that each measure in excess of 400 yards.
Highlights here include the short par four 7th with a heavily sand-protected green, the shortest of the par threes at the 158-yard 11th, and the short par four 18th which offers a reasonable chance of walking off the home green with a birdie.