Review for Castle Stuart

I played this course twice a few weeks ago and Castle Stuart scored very highly on a number of aspects: First the views are outstanding, not just over the Moray Firth but also to the coast on the other side, to Fort George, to Inverness, to the highlands in the distance etc. Second the overall design of the facilities including the practice facilities and the club house is second to none. Third the green complexes are very well done, with lots of humps and hollows and smart bunkering which provides great short game challenges. The one area where Castle Stuart did not excel in our view was the design of the fairways which in our view were too wide and too forgiving, particularly if you compare the course to Royal Dornoch or Royal Aberdeen which we played during the same week and which my partners and I would rate a touch ahead of Castle Stuart. Nevertheless, Castle Stuart is a great course. Unsurprisingly, it reminded me quite a bit of Kingsbarns and is definitely in the same league, you will definitely love this course if you like Kingsbarns.

Date: June 09, 2013