Review for Castle Stuart

I simply cannot understand how Castle Stuart gets anything other than exceptional reviews.

From the second you arrive the service levels and hospitality are exceptional. The facilities are about the best around (I challenge anyone to let me know of a better view from golf club locker rooms or showers) and nothing is too much trouble, but it is done in such a non-invasive way. I felt like I was sat in a Sunseeker but with the feel, class and charm of the QE2.

The course itself is brilliant. I am off 11, and it was such fun. The whole mantra of the club is that it is designed for amateur golfers to enjoy, whilst also testing the best, and they have nailed it. It’s visually impressive, with great elevation changes and great views. If you play well, you can score well, but if you miss in the wrong spots (the Moray Firth for example) it can be penal.

Sure it’s man-made, sure it has some fake bits and of course it doesn’t come with the history that many other courses do. But who cares? It is a brilliant golf course, a fantastic setting, and about as good a day as you can have at a golf club.

To sum up, I played Dornoch the day before I played CS. Dornoch is a few places higher in my personal ranking (it is sensational), and yet I would probably return to CS before going to back to Dornoch. I can’t really explain why that is, so just go and play both (and Nairn).

Date: April 20, 2016