Review for Castle Stuart

An excellent addition to scottish golf, Had the pleasure of playing this with the reduced local rate and was thoroughly impressed. The reception is excellent and the practice facilities are in great nick. In fact on the drive up to the course you just know that there is a special course round the corner. This is just reinforced when you step into the clubhouse and have a great vista over the infinity putting green onto the Moray firth. The course is beautiful to look at and great fun to play, probably because it doesnt really punish you too much at the moment. The greens were slick but receptive and there are some stunning holes notably the first few on the back nine, but each is memorable in its own way. The waste bunkers make it feel a bit different from the other links courses but don’t detract from the natural look in my view.I hadnt played in over a month but the wide fairways and lack of trouble off the tee allowed me to wield my driver with confidence and despite a number of hooky shots I barely strayed off the short stuff. In fact I was putting my opponents to the sword with some early birdies and nearly and ace on the short par 3 up to the castle. I am a great fan of the greens and the thought that has obviously gone into every contour that does alter difficulty of approaches considerably. My only criticism is that it is maybe too playable at the moment for pure ball strikers. Off the backs Im sure it is a very stern test but I feel they need to add a few fairway bunkers to make players think about position off the tee, especially as the fairways are about 50 yards wide and you can grip it and rip it on most holes.All in all a top class track.

Date: June 23, 2010