Review for Celtic Manor (Roman Road)

After seeing the Roman course on TV (Wales Open and the All Star cup), I really was not expecting to really enjoy the course – well I was actually very impressed after playing in Feb 2008. The first three holes are a tough par-4, a tough par-3 and then a par 5 with a difficult drive and a blind second shot – the early standard is high and to be honest is evident for the whole round. Not many flat holes at all, all are either up, down, dog-legging or some over valleys which are all very exciting. The Roman Road cannot be called traditional in any way but this is a modern course that is interesting all the way (the 16th is a bit of a giveaway par-5 though) and of a high standard. There are only a handful of places in GB&I that have three courses and not many can match the quality of Celtic Manor – the facilities and service in and around the resort are very high. I left with expectations met and surpassed...There are now at least half a dozen South-Wales courses worth playing and being based at the Celtic Manor would be my choice.

Date: February 25, 2008

Read all reviews about Celtic Manor (Roman Road)