Chattanooga - Tennessee - USA

Chattanooga Golf & Country Club,
1511 Riverview Road,
Chattanooga,
Tennessee (TN) 37405,

Extending to 6,694 yards from the back markers, the course plays to a par of 71, with only three par fives on the card at holes 4, 7 and 16. Configured with two returning nines, the layout’s outward half is routed in an anti-clockwise direction along the outside of the property with the inward half set out around a small housing estate in the middle.

Highlights at Chattanooga include the right doglegged par four 2nd, the run of riverside holes from the par five 7th to the par three 9th, short par fours at the 11th and 17th, and the par three closing hole where the home green sits adjacent to the recently renovated clubhouse.

Bill Bergin kindly supplied this exclusive comment regarding the new millennium renovation work carried out on the course:

“The club asked me to restore their golf course to what would feel like a 1920s Donald Ross course. It was not a pure restoration. We used an aerial from the 1940s to gather some information and then we modelled our bunker style after Worchester CC and Interlachen CC. We rebuilt all greens and bunkers, re-grassed all fairways and added numerous tees.

It was a major renovation with nothing of importance left untouched. The course was lengthened by about 300 yards from the back tees and shortened by about the same amount from the forward tees.

The course is only about 6700 yards long, but it has terrific yardage diversity. We have two par fours under 325 yards and four over 450 yards. We have a 128-yard par three and a 222-yarder.

The short 17th is a unique hole, playing over an old logging pit, and we have four holes playing along the Tennessee River. All of my courses ebb and flow between challenges and opportunities and Chattanooga is a perfect example of that philosophy.

Every time you play the course it feels and plays a bit differently.”

Reviews for Chattanooga

Description: Founded in 1896 on the banks of the Tennessee River, Chattanooga Golf & Country Club engaged Donald Ross in the early 1920s to set out the course that’s still in play today, albeit the modern day layout was extensively renovated by Bill Bergin in 2005. Rating: 4.5 out of 6 Reviews: 2
Colin Braithwaite

Wonderful Donald Ross throwback course and club located right on the north bank of the Tennessee River. The first hole is fantastic. I am not a fan of 9 and / or 18 being par 3s. At Chattanooga CC they both are, regardless, well worth it.

July 21, 2018
Chattanooga

Richard Smith

Chattanooga is an old Ross design that lies in a bend of the Tennessee river just across the river from downtown Chattanooga. It is a great piece of land which is bisected by a steeply banked Creek which flows into the river. The river is also most definitely in play especially on holes 7-9. Ross did a great job of using the gentle rolling elevation changes of the property to create both interest and challenge. The renovation in 2005 was, in my opinion, outstanding. The course had struggled through an earlier renovation but this time they got it right. The fairway bunkering is superb and the greens have just the right amount of slope and speed to provide a challenge for any level golfer. There are some great holes here, especially the uphill par 3 9th with a redan like green and sharp drop off to the right down to the river. 12 is a strong par 4 with the approach being played over a steep bank down to the creek I mentioned earlier. The only hole I struggle with here is the 11th. This hole had been a par three but was changed to a short par 4 with a pond short and left. Unfortunately the only reasonable option for most players is a mid iron lay up and a wedge into the green. I think a long par 3 would be the better option here. I like this course and if I lived here I would be happy to be a member. I have played the course in state medal competitions including the State mid-am and I have found the course to be a great challenge but also great fun.

Richard Smith