Cherokee Town and Country Club was established in 1956; its two separate facilities, the town club and the country club, are set twelve miles apart. The club’s two golf courses, however, are located a few miles north of Sandy Springs, close to Dunwoody.
One-year after the formation of the club, David Gill had an 18-hole course ready for the membership. Back then the route was named the Hillside, but later became known as the South layout.
In 1977, Willard Byrd built nine new holes on land to the north of the clubhouse and this became the Pineside nine. Joe Lee and Rocky Roquemore added nine further holes in 1986. These two nines were then co-joined to form the 18-hole Riverside course, so-called due to its close proximity to the Chattahoochee River.
The architectural provenance of today’s North course (formerly the Riverside) is therefore attributable to Willard Byrd and Joe Lee and his partner Rocky Roquemore, but it was Tom Fazio’s late 1998 revision that softened the join.
Cherokee Town has been listed alongside Augusta National as one of America’s most exclusive golf and country clubs, so you’ll need to hang on to Frigyes Karinthy’s “six degrees of separation” theory in the hope of befriending a kindly member.