Cherry Hill Club was established in 1922 when nine founding members from nearby Buffalo acquired a tract of farmland which was then turned over to Walter J Travis for transformation into an 18-hole course.
To mark the club’s 50th anniversary, it hosted the Canadian Open in 1972 and, in preparation for this prestigious national event, Robbie Robinson was called in to upgrade the layout.
In more recent times, further course improvements have resulted in the installation of sub-surface drainage on many of the greens and the layout has been lengthened with the introduction of new tees on a number of holes.
In 2009, architect Ian Andrew oversaw an extensive bunker renovation project, working closely with contractors NMP Golf Construction to rejuvenate all the sand traps on the course. During this process, some fairway bunkers were moved into current landing areas, whilst still adhering to the original design concepts.
Superintendent John Gall has since carried out a) an extensive short grass expansion around the greens and b) a small-scale tree removal program to improve agronomics.
The trademark Travis “chocolate drop” fairway mounds may have been removed down the years but the exquisite character of his original routing remains largely intact.
Feature holes at Cherry Hill Club include strong back-to-back par fives at 6 and 7 (the latter hole played as a par four during the 1972 Canadian Open) whilst the two long, difficult par threes at 9 and 11 are both potential card wreckers.