Review for Chiangmai Highlands

Chiangmai Highlands Golf and Spa Resort opened in December 2005 and immediately made an impact. In its first year, it was ranked as the #3 ‘New Courses in Asia’ by Asian Golf Monthly. In 2013 it was voted as the ‘Best Value for Money Experience in Asia’ and in Top 10 of the Best courses in Thailand by Asian Golf Monthly Readers. Located just east of city in the foothills of the mountains, they offer 27 holes of championship golf, that start from 5056 yards but can stretch out to over 7200 yards. There is also a 300-yard driving range, two putting greens, and a short-game practice area to warm up at. We did not get to play the Highlands Course but hopefully I can on my next visit.

The Mountain Course starts with a difficult par-5 dogleg left where your approach shot is protected by seven intimating bunkers. The third hole is shorter par-4 but this dogleg right forces you to carry a multitude of bunkers on your tee shot to a green that is protected by six more bunkers in front. Accuracy is more important than distance here since you need to avoid these deep, punishing bunkers at all costs.

I also found the rough to be very deep and sticky where sometimes your ball will almost disappear. As well the greens have large undulations so heed the instructions from your caddy.

The Valley Course has even more bunkers that come into play, so be prepared. My favourite hole is the 7th, a par-5 that features a creek running down the entire right side. Your approach has three large bunkers in front and two behind on this raised green so proper club selection is imperative.

To be honest, I found this course to be very difficult for my game. The rough and the bunkers are penalizing, and the greens are difficult to read. My only negative is that bunkers are shallow, and the sand is pebblelike. What I did notice is that the forward tee are usually 100 yards ahead of the white tees giving a big advantage for short hitters.

Overall, I loved this course but need to play it more strategically the next time.

Dave Finn is a 5-time award winning golf travel writer and photographer from Canada. Read more about his adventures at www.golftravelandleisure.com

Date: October 23, 2020