Review for Chipping Sodbury

Chipping Sodbury is a typical 1970's style of parkland course with numerous water hazards. I have played it a few times and twice post covid lockdown when it has been in reasonable condition; greens were quite spongy in August 2020 and consensus of opinion suggest it may not be one of the driest courses to play in winter. A good variety of interesting holes is a big plus factor; much thought is required off the tee (with clubbing) to avoid lakes and ditches, and also direction to tackle the dog-legs. Although some of the ditches do affect approach shots, I would say get the ball in play off the tee and it is scoreable. No real stand-out holes, just no weak ones; if I had to choose a favourite I would probably go for the tight uphill dog-leg 2nd where placement of the drive is crucial to avoid the trees. Only three par 3's and probably not the strongest holes although the 4th is well protected by water/ditches. Not top notch but well worth a visit and biggest compliment I would pay is a friend who travelled over 100 miles thought it good enough to want to revisit next year. For me based on summer condition should be higher in the Gloucestershire rankings.

Date: August 24, 2020