Review for Close House (Lee Westwood Colt)

I played the Colt course at Close House on a lovely summer's day last year and also visited for the British Masters on the European Tour (in less nice weather).

The setting of the course and club is very nice: there are far reaching views of nature in which the two courses are nestled into. It's a lovely place to spend the day. The club house is newly designed and has everything you need. I found the range to be excellent, with plenty of targets and slightly going uphill. There are plenty of bays but it is a little far from the club house and the first tee, so you need to take your car or a buggy to go back and forth. It's not ideal but as long as you know it, it's fine.

The course layout throws different looks at you with doglegs and elevation changes as well as water that comes into play on a few holes. There are some secluded holes in the woods (a par 3 on the back 9 comes to mind) and some more open holes with wide fairways. Some holes are quite tricky with few bailout options. The bunkers do come into play and influence your decision making off the tee, as they should do. The greens and fairways were in excellent shape that day.

I cannot say anything to the architectural resemblance with the Colt courses further South but I did enjoy the layout here. I think you can play it every day and enjoy it. It was also fine to walk the course, even with some of the changes in elevation.

The staff and members were very friendly (a sign of the North-East) and I'm sure the 19th hole can provide for some fun after a round.

I would gladly come back to play and if I lived in the area would easily become a member at Close House.

Date: April 04, 2020

Read all reviews about Close House (Lee Westwood Colt)