Concession - Florida - USA

• +1 (0) 941 322 1922

• Not known

• Jack Nicklaus & Tony Jacklin

• Not known

The Concession Golf Club is set in a 1,200-acre private community on Florida’s Gulf Coast south of Tampa. The Jack Nicklaus “Signature” course was designed in collaboration with Tony Jacklin and was inspired by the moment that has been referred to as the “greatest single sporting gesture ever”.

On the 18th hole of the final match of the 1969 Ryder Cup at Royal Birkdale, Jack Nicklaus holed his four-foot putt for par. With the matches tied, Nicklaus stunned the world of golf by conceding a tricky two-footer to Tony Jacklin. It resulted in the first tie in the history of the Ryder Cup and the act has been known simply as “The Concession” ever since.

The Concession Golf Club is a monument to that exemplary act. “I want the clubhouse full of memorabilia and pictures and reports of the great Ryder Cup games and epics. We want to epitomize the game and the values we love.” Said Tony Jacklin.

Naturally you’ll need to befriend a member to experience the Concession, or perhaps you might want to buy one of the up-market properties on the estate. Ah well, we can all dream.

A question remains: Would you have given Tony Jacklin that putt?

Looking back nearly 50 years to “The Concession”

Reviews for Concession

Description: The Concession Golf Club is set in a 1,200-acre private community on Florida’s Gulf Coast. The club was inspired by the moment that has been referred to as the “greatest single sporting gesture ever”. Rating: 6 out of 6 Reviews: 4

Played 36 holes at The Concession last week while on a Florida golf trip, Wow, This course has instantly gone to the top of my best played list, what unbelievable condition it was in, not a blade of grass out of place and a very challenging layout, even the practice range had Pro V1's. Easily up there with what I saw at Augusta when it comes to conditioning, We also played The Quarry course at Black Diamond Ranch and TPC Sawgrass Stadium course, both fantastic courses but left in the wake of The Concession. A forecaddie was mandatory so a special thank you to Ray for making our day there even more special.
May 19, 2010

Having had the pleasure of playing The Concesson last Sunday, I would like to say it is the best golf course that I have ever played in my professional life. You can only discribe it as a "Golfing Gem" I must congratulate Tony Jacklin and Jack Nicklaus on their superb design and one day I hope the "Ryder Cup" will be played on this great golf course. The practice facilities are the best I have ever seen. Well done and I look forward to playing The Concession again, David Edwards. Golf Trick Show. www.david-edwards.co.uk
November 11, 2009

Simply stunning, very fortunate to get a game around here, and i will certainly never forget it!This golf course has everthing from great putting surfaces to holes with natural beauty. The course is very young but you can't tell. It has been built with no expense spared and this will be a future Ryder Cup venue one day no doubt!There is not one bad hole on it!The layout is fantasic and along with great practise facilites it has everything.Very expensive to play as is golf generally these days, but play it if you get the chance!
February 25, 2009

I have not played Augusta but it is difficult to imagine that it is more wonderful than The Concession, which is considerably more wonderful than Kingsbarns (great course), St Andrews (Old), Royal Birkdale, Wentworth, Lahinch, Valderrama, and several more courses which I have played at this level. The Concession is like stepping UP into another world.
January 06, 2009