Concord Country Club, formed in 1895 as Concord Golf Club, commissioned Donald Ross to lay out an 18-hole course for the membership which was carried out in two stages, building the first nine in 1915 then adding another nine thirteen years later.
From Concord’s centenary publication: “A gala celebration was held on the club’s 35th anniversary in October 1920 to open the 18-hole golf course. Herbert Hosmer, a founding member of the original golf club, drove out the first ball. Greenkeeper Edwin Hansen and his sons were presented with $50 bonuses for their extra efforts in completing the new holes that fall.
Many of the course’s features would one day be recognized as Donald Ross signatures: small raised, contoured greens… with crowns and slopes that punish the imperfect chip… and carefully placed, spacious bunkers… characterize the Ross look and perhaps the entire Golden Age.”
Today, the course extends to 6,679 yards from the back markers, playing to a par of 70. Highlight holes include the par three 6th (with a large ridge running through the green) and the shortest par three on the card, the 147-yard 9th, featuring a pronounced false-fronted green. On the back nine, the 534-yard 17th is a mighty tough hole, rated stroke index 2, with the fairway bisected by a creek which then runs into a greenside pond.