Established in 1899, the Country Club of Mobile moved to its present location fifteen years after its formation, with a rather grand three-storey clubhouse in operation by 1917. Unfortunately, the building burned down soon after its inauguration, which prompted the club to construct an even grander edifice and, more importantly, to engage Donald Ross to redesign its golf course.
The layout occupies an undulating site, with more than a hundred feet of elevation change within the property, and it’s been altered a number of times since it first opened for play in 1928 (most significantly by Ron Forse in recent years) though the course still largely remains true to the original Donald Ross blueprint.
Notable holes include the short par five 7th and
par three 8th (both of which feature distinctive, Raynor-styled greens), the
par three 12th which is all carry across water to the green and strong
back-to-back par fours at the 423-yard 15th and 464-yard 16th, where a creek
slashes across the fairway at the latter as the hole veers right towards a
wickedly sloping green.