Review for Country Club of Scranton (Old)

I had not played Scranton for a very long time. I got to revisit this splendid course last Thursday. They have worked quite hard to reestablish the old green sizes and have removed countless trees. The course is fabulous. Prior to my revisit I might have propositioned that a ranking of 4 in PA was a tad high. I'd say after my visit that ranking is spot on. I got to play Huntsville and Scranton back to back. Those are the two best in the NE Pa area. Both are very nice and quite different. Scranton is a gem. Walter Travis is under rated with his work. The green contours are just special. Rolly massive lumps and strategic planning are required unless you enjoy uphill putts which trundle down a hill to finish requiring absolute precision to avoid a 3 putt. There is a great mix of par 4's and the 3's are very nice. The par 5's are just average. Overall a fabulous course with attention to all clubs in your bag and all shots required.

I had the pleasure of playing with two gents who are club champs at the club. The one was advising me of upcoming changes which would take place. The recontouring of many of the fairway bunkers shall take place. As pointed out a number of bunkers have had their size and contours shaped which created difficulty for shorter hitters and that outcome shall be changed. Overall though this is a very robust club with engaging membership and a fabulous course.

Date: October 06, 2020

Read all reviews about Country Club of Scranton (Old)