The Country Club of Waterbury can trace its origins back to 1899, when a local man named Arthur Fenn laid out a 9-hole course for the Waterbury Golf Association. Within a decade of its formation, the club was transformed into The Country Club of Waterbury.
After acquiring additional land in 1927, the club invited Donald Ross to design an 18-hole layout for the membership, using a combination of ground already in use along with the newly purchased acreage. By the end of the following year, this layout was brought into play.
Feature holes include the 453-yard, left doglegged 2nd (described by 5-time state amateur champion Dick Siderowft as “the best par four in the state”) and the 427-yard 13th, where water threatens the tee shot and a false front to the green repels imprecise approach shots.